Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New V 6 Box

I have two co-axial cables coming separately into the house; one is connected into the wi-fi router and the other to the existing TiVo box. Can I use an old, non wi-fi, router to provide the ethernet connection for the new box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V 6 Box

So the V6 needs two connections.

An incoming co-ax provides the TV signals, and an internet connection provides the VoD, EPG Updates, and numerous other authentication functions. Ethernet is ideal for the internet, but WiFi should work.

I think I understand your question, as being can your V6 link by Ethernet to a router that then links to your VM Superhub that's being used in modem mode, and the answer is yes. That's how mine is setup, along with many others on here. The important thing is that if you're using your own router, that only Ethernet socket 1 on the SH is enabled, to allow the router to connect.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New V 6 Box

Should have made my question clearer. The coaxial cables come into our house in different places; one into the front room for the existing Tivo Box and the other into a single story extension which is connected to the Superhub. Two desktop computers ethernet connections are into the Superhub

I would need about 10 meters of ethernet cable to connect the V 6 box to the Superhub! Can I use an old Virgin non wi-fi router to connect between the incoming coaxial cable in the front room and the new V 6 Box?

I would prefer not to use the wi-fi to connect to the V 6 as the signal is a little temperamental and I presume I would not be able to use the V 6 box if wi-fi is down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V 6 Box

Hi CHAPPERS456,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

You wouldn't be able use a non Virgin router for this, an engineer would be able to sort out the cabling.

Have you been able to get this sorted since posting?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos