Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New TV V6 box not loading - Error S101 - stuck at 16%

We've been without TV since the old Tivo died last Tuesday 3rd Oct. Replacement V6 box arrived Friday 6th but after connecting up and starting it initially looked to go through the setup but didn't load any TV channels - they listed all greyed out and none could be selected. After about 4 hours I decided to restart the box via a power off cycle after which it has stuck at the S101 error and only 16% downloaded, even though left overnight.

Can anyone help with ideas or do we require intervention by Virgin engineers - remotely or an onsite visit ?  Can this be sorted online as my experiences on the phone have not been at all good - over 45 minutes to reach (hanging on the line) a call centre representative to discuss my replacement V6 box order is not my idea of "Service".....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TV V6 box not loading - Error S101 - stuck at 16%

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/s101 this is often a connectivity issue. How is your V6 connected to your homehub (for onward internet link) - Ethernet or WiFi?  And I'm sure it's sucking eggs, but is your co-ax cable (providing TV signal) finger-tight?

As long as you've done that, there's not a great deal more can be done via "self-service" and you likely will need VM intervention. Staff on here will tend to respond after about a week, there's a text message service for 2/3 day response but the phone line (with a healthy dose of patience & persistence) is probably the quickest way... 😞

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts

The V6 connects via the ethernet cable into a powerline box so no (known) problems seen there.  Our phones, iPad etc. link into wifi via the same adapter with plenty of bandwidth so confident in the link over the wires.  I unscrewed and reconnected/tightened the co-ax at the wall socket and the V6 end has the adapter cable to the co-ax socket... So all looks secure there too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there a physical reset mechanism I can try - holding a combo of buttons while pouring up ? Thought I'd read something somewhere....

Or is it now just a case of 150 and sticking on the line ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@RogH1 wrote:

Thanks japitts

Or is it now just a case of 150 and sticking on the line ?

Pretty much....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The "engineer" in me just couldn't stop thinking about this issue and I've eventually resolved the problem with my V6 box install and thought I'd share....    

I suspected that the coax cable wasn't providing some form of authentication code or link about my TV channel subscription level after all the main download had occurred over the ethernet/broadband link. So, I dug out an old satellite coax cable from the garage and used it to connect the V6 to the wall socket and VIOLA - it worked....  I have no idea why the original coax had stopped working as it was tucked away behind cupboards and along the top of the skirting with clips, unless it got a knock from a vacuum cleaner or similar - who knows - and now, who cares ! 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So, all you Error S101 / 16% 'ers this just might be the simple answer to the problem.....👍  Well worth a try !

Saved me the long wait on the 150 call !

Good luck.

Rog

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good that you've got your problem sorted Roger, but just to clarify... are you saying your V6 is now connected to VM's network using third party/ "old satellite" coax?

If so... others on this forum have had personal experience of this sort of fix indvertently injecting noise back into VM's local network and causing problems for other customers in the area

I believe @nodrogd has also had this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would only see what you have done as a temporary fix. The problem with satellite cable is that its not triple screened. Something that is essential to keep out Freeveiw & DAB broadcast interference, as these services use the same frequencies as Virgin use inside the cable. There is also evidence that 4G/5G mobile phones can interfere with cable services through badly screened connections.

A fix for this should be free if the cable is faulty, & you are risking a hefty bill if network problems are traced to DIY alterations at your installation.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos