Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Netflix, scrambled sound

Back in 2018 someone reported getting garbled sound when watching Netflix through the V6. I have been getting the same thing. It sounds like someone doing Mickey Mouse impressions under water.

Amazon Prime is fine, and so is Netflix when accessed through any other medium.

I've checked the local service monitor, and there's no reported problem there.

In response to the 2018 complaint someone had suggested changing sound under the settings menu from Dolby to PCM. This certainly works; but, as someone else pointed out, this is not a solution, but a compromise, since doing this cancels out full 5.1 surround sound.

What is going on?

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix, scrambled sound

Hi when was the last time you rebooted your system. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not a stupid suggestion. However, already tried that one. Re-booted about an hour ago. Made no difference.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Check the soundtrack for the program within Netflix itself. Has it switched to something your TV can't decode?

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure that I'd know how to check for that.

In any case, anything I try to play in Netflix via the Virgin box comes out garbled, whilst I can play the same stuff from Netflix stuff perfectly well that if I access it via the Netflix facility on the TV. Since the sound goes from the TV through the same digital out to the AV receiver I can't see that it's anything to do with the Netflix broadcast.

Thank you , nonetheless, for the suggestion. Anything else anyone has to suggest will be gratefully received - particularly anything that comes from a Virgin engineer/moderator?

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sophie100,

Take the AV receiver out of the equation for now and try playing Netflix without it being connected. What happens?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When watching a program press ok and go up to where it says options, it will then say audio and subtitles. Click ok again and then check which soundtrack is selected, try a different one to see if that fixes it.

The only other option, other than a reboot, is to log out of Netflix and log back in again.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

The thing is that this morning I reset everything back to the way it was - and now it's working. Full 5.1 sound, and all the other desirable bells and whistles.

Watch this space?