cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix failures through TIVO

rmitch40
Tuning in

I have to turn my tivo box off and on almost every day in order to clear Netflix error messages. Doesn't happen for any other apps (e.g. Prime, BBC iPlayer). I have spoken to Netflix direct, who's answer was to (wait for it).... turn the box off and on.

Completely boiling my brain. Why/how can this happen with only one app? And what can I do to sort it? New box?

80 REPLIES 80

I’ve contacted Netflix directly (again) to see if they can help. 
thanks for your thoughts so far.

Ok, Netflix couldn’t help, and (apologies) I’ve realised that it isn’t a Netflix-specific issue. The intermittent fault does stop all of my apps from working (Netflix, Prime, iPlayer).

I have now got a wired connection, but it didn’t seem to change anything. The only solution seems to be to turn my virgin box off, wait 20 secs, and turn it back on. But a day later it happens again.

Update: virgin media help told me to unplug my WiFi hub from the electrical source and then plug it back in. Apparently this will definitely fix the issue. We’ll see……..

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, so it's not a Netflix issue as an internet connectivity issue - that helps.

If you're using an Ethernet cable, there's 2 good tests to run, that'll prove the V6 > Hub > internet connection is working.

1: Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. Check the RHS for an IP address and the LHS for regular 6hourly connections.

2: Follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > (top of screen) > TV Speed test Press "ok" to run the test or "play" to get speed specifics.

If you have an issue with your homehub or VM broadband, it will affect all connected devices - tablets, laptops, phones, the lot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add to the great advice from @japitts  I would also change the ethernet cable if you a spare one, just in case it's not working correctly.

If you haven't got a spare one, swap it out with a known working one, or test it with your hub by placing both ends into 2 ethernet ports on the hub and check that they both light up. It might even be a faulty ethernet port on the hub, so if one port doesn't light up then try another one.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for this. Ran through the first tip and all appears ok. Tried to do the second one, but I can’t find a speed test option anywhere in TV care?

Also tested the Ethernet cable and ports as suggested. All good.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have a 360 now so can't remember the exact sequence, but I believe its

Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband. (you might need to scroll across to the right on the top row to see all the options)
Then select ‘Take a speed test’. It should give a thumbs up
To see the actual speed press do the above but press the Play button rather than the OK button

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you've proven the Ethernet cable & ports as good, then refer to post-14 above... The speed test that newapollo is referring to, I've covered in point 2.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That speed test is nowhere to be seen when I get to TV Care, or when I go down the alternative route newapollo has suggested. I’ve been right through everything, and can’t see any options to perform a speed test.