Netflix and Amazon Prime not working on V6 box - "TVQ-PM-100" - "Something Went Wrong"
I have had an ongoing issue with both Netflix and Amazon Prime for approximately 4 months..ever since I bought a new 4K TV (Sony 49XF37003).
Every day (and sometimes twice a day), I have to restart my box in order to get anything to play.
I am always able to enter the apps successfully. When I then try to play a title, the app attempts to play, with a revolving circle symbol..and then after some 30 seconds or so, I receive an error from the respective app. (Incidentally, this issue occurs whether I go in via the Apps section, or from channel 204 for Netflix or channel 205 for Amazon Prime).
"We're having trouble playing this title at the moment, please try again later or select a different title. There is a corresponding error message TVQ-PM-100'
"Something went wrong Please try again later. For more help, go to amazon.com/videohelp."
I have a V6 box and a Superhub 3.
The box is connected to the hub via Ethernet cable.
I am receiving approximately 350Mb/s download speed.
Even though I already had a high quality HDMI cable from V6 to my table, I have replaced that HDMI cable to eliminate that as cause. The problem persists.
After these months, I finally had enough of this constant annoyance and contacted Customer Services. I was passed to a 'Higher Team', who advised me to reboot the box. This was obviously less than helpful because, as mentioned I have had the sense to do this myself and have been doing this every day anyway.
They booked me an engineer who replaced the box this week. This has not resolved the issue.
While here, the engineer put me on the phone to one of his lead technicians who advised me to change the Video Output setting to remove the 2160p outputs and let my TV do the upscaling instead of the V6 box. While less than happy with this workaround (as there's a reason I wanted the box to do the upscaling), I did so to prove a point. The issue was resolved. For 2 days. Even on 1080p output, the issue now recurs every other day!
Worse than that..the video output settings reset themselves on the V6 box every day and there is obviously something in the V6 software that detects my TV's maximum definition and resets it back to 2160p and 2160p passthrough anyway!
I am now right back to square one in that I need to reboot my V6 box at least once a day in order that I can make use of the V6 apps.
This really is beyond acceptable.
I am successfully able to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, with UHD output on all of my other devices, including the built-in applications on my Sony TV..and (for what its worth, my TV is connected wirelessly)...and I am certainly able to watch Netflix on my second Tivo box in another room..albeit that is HD only.
It is therefore logical that this must be an issue with the V6 (and perhaps compatibility with the Sony 4K TV or some other software fault with the V6).
A simple google search reveals to me that I am certainly not alone in these issues. There seems to be dozens of Virginmedia customers complaining about this fault...and in the main when connected to a 4K TV.
Please do not suggest to me that I 'just use the built-in apps' on my TV, as the engineer did.There's a reason that I want to use the provided V6 apps and that is so that I can bookmark all my family's shows for these 2 apps in the 'My apps' section of the V6 box,
Please can you confirm to me that this is a known issue and that somebody may give me some hope as to root cause and resolution.
Re: Netflix and Amazon Prime not working on V6 box - "TVQ-PM-100" - "Something Went Wrong&
I don't want to tempt fate..but I think I have resolved this.
I tried a VERY simple fix on Monday 16/12...and both my Netflix and Amazon Prime apps have been working fine since.
After doing further reading, I came to the conclusion that these errors were probably due to HDCP 2.2 handshake issues.On the offchance, I searched in youtube for HDCP 2.2 tivo v6 and found a video where somebody suggest a fix for a similar (not the same) issue.
This is the video (apologies if I'm not supposed to post links..I'm new to this forum and not sure of the rules)
The interesting part to me was the final comment below the viedo "There is a far easier, and cheaper way to sort this.Plug the box directly into the tv to do its setup."
Now, something I really should have mentioned earlier..but foolishly didn't...My V6 box is connected to my Sony TV via an AV receiver (Sony STR-DH790). I had (again foolishly) assumed that as the receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant..as is my TV and all the HDMI ports..and all the HDMI cables...this wouldn't be the cause of the issue.
But, after reading the youtube comment above about plugging the box directly into the TV, I thought I'd give it a go. I removed the HDMI cable from the receiver that was coming from my TV and plugged it directly into the V6 box. I then switched the V6 box off and restarted it. The apps work fine (but this didn't prove anything as they alway work fine after a reboot anyway). I then put my cables back to how they were (HDMI cable from the TV back into the receiver and HDMI cable receiver to V6 box).
As I say, this was on Monday (2 days ago) and the apps have been working fine since.
Assuming my assumptions are correct, I would imagine there is someone on this forum who might be able to explain HDCP 2.2 handshakes and why this might have provided a permanent solution. I can't..but frankly I don't care. 🙂
I hope this proves of help to somebody else.
Incidentally, for whats it worth, I have now left my V6 video output settings as just 2160P checked.