Menu
Pcd24
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My original V6 box displayed "The DVR has detected a serious error ..." just now

Our original V6 box failed in the middle of an iplayer program displaying a green screen, and the message "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours....."

The issue has been posted here before and appears to be a disk failure.

Do I need to contact Customer Support in th emorning?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My original V6 box displayed "The DVR has detected a serious error ..." just now

Hi Pcd24,

I'm sorry to say but yes you need to contact faults as your hard drive has failed. 

You should call the VM Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call between 8am and 10am, or late afternoon around tea time to avoid call queues.

When calling Faults you will get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support, perform tests, reboot etc.

Ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

A member of the Forum Team might pick this up for you, but realistically this may take around a week.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

Pcd24
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My original V6 box displayed "The DVR has detected a serious error ..." just now

Hi Dave,

I left the box online last evening as suggested, and thankfully this morning, it booted up OK, with all my recordings appearing on the appropriate list.

Perhaps I reacted to the various posts on this forum regarding the issue prematurely.

I assume that within the 3 hours overnight, it restored my box from VM servers? Fingers crossed let's hope this has fixed the problem.

I will keep your response, tips, etc re 150 in case I have further problems. Like the text alternative!

Many thanks for your help

Pete

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but more often than not.. in cases where the box does restore itself like this (which are extremely rare), another failure happens soon after.

Your recordings are on your hard drive and aren't backed up anywhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pcd24
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.....but not very encouraging! Should I be reporting it?
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Strictly speaking, if you have no current faults then you've nothing to report.

But I would suspect your box is on borrowed time, given your symptoms thus far.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos