Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My box in one room will not link the the box in another

I have a box in my dining room and one in my living room. I am continually having problems trying to watch a program on one box that has been recorded on the other 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: My box in one room will not link the the box in another

What's the problem you're having, and how are each of the two boxes connected to your homehub?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't know. We had the tivo box in one room and a v6 in the other. It has been installed for over a year without any problems but not won't work 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd guess WiFi then, but that can be checked.

What's the problem you're having with the streaming? What's actually happening? Someone may be able to help if you tell us what the issue is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It quotes error v401. I have rebooted everything and reset the router. No problems with WiFi on any of devices. It is though neither box is communicating with the other 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V401 means they are connected to each other but the connection is too slow.  It usually is a WiFi problem.  Have you moved anything, even slightly,  that could now be blocking the signal?

=========
I work for Virgin Media but all opinions are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No I don't think I have. It's been OK for over a year. However next door has recently had VM installed could that be it. Or do I need to buy a WiFi booster 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Downhamdn,

It may be that you and your neighbour are sharing the same channel frequency which means the wireless signal will deteriorate.

You could do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer or  inssider which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

You could also try splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals. 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

The ones furthest away will probably be best on 2.4 as that signal will be stronger and carries further even though it may not be the fastest. (Fastest doesn't always equate to best connection)

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali