Menu
fixerman
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My V6 box has stopped connecting to my wifi router

I spent the morning waiting to speak to a support advisor only to be told that as I was using my own ASUS router and not the VM router he could not help me. He told me that he had never heard of such a thing as a customer using a router other than the one supplied by VM.

The fault is not with my router as I have a total of three V6 boxes and the other two are connecting without any problem. I even swopped the faulty box with one of the others and the swapped box connected to the wifi immediately and the suspect box failed to connect in the other location. I therefore conclude that the suspect V6 box is faulty and requires replacement.I have multiple devices in my home and they all have rock solid wifi connections.

Any advise would be very welcome as if I cannot resolve this matter my days with VM are over.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My V6 box has stopped connecting to my wifi router

Using your own router is certainly a fully supported method of connecting, although I very much doubt it's common "in the wild" as it were - so it doesn't surprise me that the C/S agent hadn't heard of it.

Anyhoo... on the box that won't connect, have you made any changes to your WiFi config recently, that would have caused the saved details (on any device, but in this case your V6) to become invalid?

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, what is shown in the top-right? Does it report connected currently? Is the signal strength weak and the connection is perhaps dropping? Does it report no current connection, in which case follow the on-screen prompts to reconnect - does this work?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
fixerman
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your prompt response japitt. I will check and let you know. 

0 Kudos
fixerman
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your prompt response. I did as you suggested and suddenly the V6 connected again, so all is well and peace and happiness has returned to the houshold. Best regards.👍

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great that you're now sorted. I'd guess it was one of the options in the network connections screen that did the trick, but for the benefit of others reading this forum who could be looking to solve a similar problem - what was it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos