Menu
paperboy2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My V6 and my TiVo are not communicating.

TiVo and V6 suddenly stopped talking. Spoke to virgin, they said they can see a fault and need a technician visit, they will arrange. They didn’t. Made the same phone call five time in five weeks with only promises and nothing happened. 
Tried to contact virgin on Twitter and they said look for an answer here. 
can anyone advise. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My V6 and my TiVo are not communicating.

Let's check the basics then.. when you say your V6 & TiVo aren't communicating, I'm presuming you mean that you can't multiroom stream between them?

The two boxes connect differently, so... your TiVo has an Ethernet cable to your homehub - can you confirm?

In the V6's case, the same connection to your homehub is used for all streaming, so does VoD (OnDemand) work ok?

And the final query - on the basis that this is a multiroom problem, what's actually happening?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
paperboy2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, many thanks for your response.

I have checked the TiVo and it does have an internet connection.

My V6 box appears to be connected to a WiFi booster.

when I try to connect to on demand I  get a choice of programmes but whatever I choose the next screen tells me to upgrade. 

When I say my TiVo and V6 are not connecting I meant the boxes are not connecting to each other. I used to be able to watch a recording on the V6 from the TiVo and visa versa.

When I try to view a box from the other box it always works for 2-5 minutes and then I get a Lost Connection Box appear saying there may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your TiVo box or the TiVo box may have been unplugged (V87)

Thank you for you help so far.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You seem to have a mish-mash of issues here, so I'm going to take each one in-turn..

@paperboy2 wrote:

I have checked the TiVo and it does have an internet connection.

My V6 box appears to be connected to a WiFi booster.

The TiVo has an internet connection inbuilt, the V6 relies on a connection via your homehub - which can be Ethernet or WiFi. You can check the status of this connection via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network

@paperboy2 wrote:

when I try to connect to on demand I  get a choice of programmes but whatever I choose the next screen tells me to upgrade. 

Which programmes are you getting this on, specifically? And which TV package are you? Specific examples of the former will be helpful, and if you're not sure about your package - check your recent bills or contract. I'm asking because... CatchUp programmes are included on all TV packages, but boxset content is only included on the top-tier Maxit/Full-House/XL. If you're trying to watch a boxset programme without being on the top-tier, then "upgrade to watch" is expected behaviour.

@paperboy2 wrote:

When I say my TiVo and V6 are not connecting I meant the boxes are not connecting to each other. I used to be able to watch a recording on the V6 from the TiVo and visa versa.

When I try to view a box from the other box it always works for 2-5 minutes and then I get a Lost Connection Box appear saying there may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your TiVo box or the TiVo box may have been unplugged (V87)

In order to multi-box stream, you'll have an Ethernet connection from your TiVo to your homehub. The V6 will use the same (WiFi or Ethernet) connection as for all other OnDemand.

Check by trying OnDemand from your V6, whether its connection is still present - the same trick won't work on your TiVo but you can check the Ethernet cable is physically seated and hasn't worked loose.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
paperboy2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have tried the cables and gave them a good wiggle and all appear secure. When I did the test you suggest I can the Ethernet connection. 
When I was going through the programs and looking to test the options offered I discovered the port configuration test had failed so ran the test again.

the following screen came up. The ports listed below need to be opened by your router. For more information contact you ISP or review your router manual. Failed ports are TCP port 80 and TCP port 7288. Not sure where to go from here. My ISP just tell me to go on this site.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi paperboy2,

You can ignore the port configuration test. That fails even on fully functioning boxes.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The port configuration test is at best unreliable, and often fails on perfectly working systems, mine included. You can safely disregard its results.

When you say "my ISP", what do you mean by that? A V6 needs a Virgin Media broadband connection to work, and if your broadband isn't with VM then you shouldn't have a V6.

I'm not sure what you mean by "When I did the test you suggest I can the Ethernet connection", and sorry - but I'm not sure what we're trying to fix here! As per my previous post, there seems to be several issues here and I'm a little lost to be honest.

0 Kudos