Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Multi room

I am an electrical contractor & we are currently re wiring a 3 bed apartment for a client.

There is an existing white Virgin box in one of the bedrooms which then has a cable run from there to the lounge (which is where the previous owner had his V6 box.)

Our client wants the option to have multi-room in two of the bedrooms & possibly the kitchen too. 

A guy from Virgin called in before we started the job & he left us some coax & said to run this coax from the white box to the store cupboard in the middle of the apartment. Then to run another coax from that point to each of the rooms that are to have a V6 box. (Sounds like they will use some kind of splitter at that location) 

Can you confirm that this is correct as I read on here that each V6 box needs a separate coax from the white Virgin wall box. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Multi room

Hi,

Thats correct they will fit a splitter to get it to the other rooms.

Thanks Chris

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I just needed that confirming before the plasterers come in.

One other thing, where will the router need to be located ? Does it have to go directly into the white Virgin box or can this go next to the splitter in the cupboard ?

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I just needed that confirming before the plasterers come in.

One other thing, where will the router need to be located ? Does it have to go directly into the white Virgin box or can this go next to the splitter in the cupboard ?

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You could have the coaxial cable which enters the front of the house running to the cupboard (which needs at least one 13A socket). A splitter there will split the cable, one leg for the hub, the other legs running to each room where a V6 is needed. Cables can be joined by a simple barrel connector. You should also run Ethernet cabling (cat 5e would do but why not use cat 6) for each room which will have a V6 or require internet access.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos