Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Multi Room is it WiFi or is Coaxial cable required.

Can you advise, moving to a new home and will now need multi room TV boxes. Not keen on having wires fitted around the house. Are the multi room boxes run by WIFi or will I need coaxial wires installed, which I don’t really want. 

I think Sky Q multi room are run by WiFi and this might be a deal breaker in making my decision when I move. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Multi Room is it WiFi or is Coaxial cable required.

The box do use wifi for streaming and catchup but you will still need a coax cable for live tv to work 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok that’s a shame. Thank You. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Tenpole wrote:

Ok that’s a shame. Thank You. 

It’s a trade off as to what you want. The functionality of the SkyQ mini is far less than the main box, & unless you go for the UHD version you will only have 6 tuners to play with, of which only 3 will record at the same time.

Also bear in mind that several channels have pulled the plug on Satellite distribution in favour of online platforms. Most of these channels still remain on Virgin as it is not reliant on Satellite distribution.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I will have to give it some more thought. I hate having wires! But maybe I need to consider the trade off on functionality. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are planning pulling the internal wires yourself it is worth it.

Wi-Fi is a shared resource so it may initially work fine only to have a neighbour add a new router / mesh system and it becomes unreliable.

My installer left me with a coil of coax to allow me to install my second box in a bedroom.
I fed the coax and Ethernet cable up the outside wall, through the attic and then down an internal wall to the site of the V6.
Very neat job (even though I say it myself).

Remember, if planned correctly then this is a one off job.

0 Kudos