Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Moved from Sky to Virgin Media, please help before my wife divorces me!

So, been with Sky for over 15 years. Until last week I had one of their Sky Q boxes. Took a deal out with Virgin (great bundle) which came with 2 x V6 boxes and OMG, the Series Link planning (and user experience) is like going from the light to the dark. My Mrs is not happy with me and I'm stuck with this for the next 18 months. I honestly didn't consider the V6 could be so bad.

On Sky you saw a program in the guide, hit record and it automatically recorded all episodes of the same type as a series link. For example, if you recorded Gold Rush on a Tuesday night the planner was intelligent enough to know you wanted to record all occurrences on a Tuesday night on the same channel. It was a 2 click job, as simple as that. No need to define which channel or whether or not you wanted it to include re-runs. All programming done in a jiffy from the EPG.

I have a few questions which I would really appreciate you help with?

- Is the Series Link as bad as I fear, what are the communities views?

- Does the series link only 'initially' pick up episodes that are available in the next 2 week (I assume the EPG only works for 2 weeks) but then adds the next episodes when they appear in the EPG window?

- Are EPG / Series Link errors common on V6 boxes?

- From reading various posts it looks like the only solution to pick up 'missing' episodes is to set the Series Link modifier to include everything, surely that can't be right as I then get loads of other occurrences I dont want or need?

I've heard a new box is on its way I can only pray Virgin have done their homework this time and built something comparable to the Sky Q box.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really disappointed in the V6 experience so far.

Ps. I'm really good with technology so am definitely setting up the series link 'modify' options correctly. 

Thanks in advance.

Scott

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved from Sky to Virgin Media, please help before my wife divorces me!

V6 works on TiVO firmware, which is now several years old. Series links work OK, you just select the prog from the EPG, press record & then select "Get a Series Link". There are occasionally EPG errors, but they are rare, & new episodes are picked up as the EPG updates.

The EPG is not "dynamic" though & only a few channels get late updates when progs suddenly change.

Virgin do have a new Horizon driven box (V360) that is now being rolled out. It is similar to SkyQ, but has half the capacity of the 4K version Q box. Series Links on this currently record everything, but an update is planned to allow NEW only to be selected.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

To add...

@oldskoolgamer wrote:

On Sky you saw a program in the guide, hit record and it automatically recorded all episodes of the same type as a series link. For example, if you recorded Gold Rush on a Tuesday night the planner was intelligent enough to know you wanted to record all occurrences on a Tuesday night on the same channel. It was a 2 click job, as simple as that. No need to define which channel or whether or not you wanted it to include re-runs. All programming done in a jiffy from the EPG.

I have a few questions which I would really appreciate you help with?

- Is the Series Link as bad as I fear, what are the communities views?

- Does the series link only 'initially' pick up episodes that are available in the next 2 week (I assume the EPG only works for 2 weeks) but then Scott

If anything the SL on TiVo/V6 are far more powerful than on Sky, but they work differently. Firstly they will record the first available showing of any given episode. Assuming your SL settings are set to "new and reruns" or "new only", then the box only wants to record one version of each episode. Let's say you click "set series link" on what (unbeknown to you) is the second or third showing of that programme. Assuming that there are no tuner clashes preventing an earlier showing being recorded, it'll set that to record - not the slot you're setting. The "first aired date" in the program synopsis is gospel here, as far as TiVo scheduling logic goes.

Within the SL settings, you can tweak the config to varying degrees - selecting either a specific channel or "all channels", HD on/off etc, include/exclude streaming videos and a few other options. You can get to here, either by "modify series link options" from the programme itself, or by following Home > My My Shows > Manage series link

As you have surmised, the EPG runs for 2 weeks but on some channels you will occasionally get programmes at the edge of that limit picked up within the "Search & Explore" section.

@oldskoolgamer wrote:

- From reading various posts it looks like the only solution to pick up 'missing' episodes is to set the Series Link modifier to include everything, surely that can't be right as I then get loads of other occurrences I dont want or need?

No - your box will want to capture one recording of each episode/programme, as long as you use either "new only" or "new & reruns".

I think nodrogd has covered the other things I'd have mentioned, except to say the TV guide updates roughly every 6 hours - often enough to pick up everything except the most last-minute schedule changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Having had both SkyQ and TiVo running alongside each other for a few years - I must say that on the features side TiVo wins hands down.

The Series Link+ on TiVo will look across all channels - not just one.

So for example, if you set Live: Match of the Day  -  it will record that programme whether it is on BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 or evening Red Button.   SkyQ will stick to a single channel only.

Wishlists are amazing  -  you can set TiVo to record all (or just new) programmes automatically based on cast, football teams etc. - even if there are none coming up.

The only downside to all these features is that sometimes people get baffled by them as they don't understand them  -  but they don't have to use them.

On SkyQ - the series link picks the next episodes which the broadcast has linked too - it is not SkyQ being clever and the system oftem goes wrong.

On TiVo with Gold Rush on a Tuesday night  -  you can select just NEW episodes - or you can even select those starting from a particlar series etc if you've missed some (so re-runs).  SkyQ can NOT do that.

If Gold Rush moved from Discovery to a different channel - TiVo would still record it with a Series Link+.  SkyQ can NOT do that.

If they is only one particular episode you are waiting for - you can bookmark just that episode to record when it airs.  SkyQ can NOT do that.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos