Menu
eddgrant
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode has broken V6 TiVo Box connectivity

Hi folks,

Yesterday I switched my SuperHub 3 in to Modem mode for the first time. I did to connect and configure some new Unifi networking kit to enable me to get better WiFi throughout the house.

All seemed to be going swimmingly until I switched the TV on last night, to discover that the V6 TiVo box (connected by ethernet to my LAN) could no longer detect a network 😞

Here's a picture of the setup:

TopologyTopology

When I looked at my switch it was clear that the V6 box isn't establishing a link on the connected port. So far I've tried the following with no success:

1. Tested all cabling for continuity (In case its relevant this is all Cat6 wired up using T568A).
  2. Tried different ports on the switch - no joy.
  3. Tried known good equipment on the same port and cable - link established immediately.
  4. Tried using the narrow yellow + white Cat6a cable that came with the Virgin kit - no joy.

As mentioned in the picture above, I've currently disabled any inter VLAN restrictions and the VLAN that I'm connecting the V6 box to currently has unfettered internet access. I'm not sure this has any bearing on the issue though as I'd expect a link to be established irrespective of any access issues?

I'm now running low in terms of ideas, so grateful if anyone can spot any obvious problems with the setup above and for ideas to help debug what's going on.

Many thanks,

Edd

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode has broken V6 TiVo Box connectivity

You need to use Virgin's DNS servers for v6 to work, you can't use your own, could it be that? 

0 Kudos
eddgrant
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jb66,

I would be surprised if the DNS servers being wrong would affect the switches ability to establish the link as I would expect the link to happen somewhere in levels 1 - 3 of the OSI stack? However, I'm no expert so am happy to give it a try. Could you please confirm what Virgin's DNS server details are and I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Many thanks,

Edd

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Primary is 194.168.4.100

Secondary is 194.168.8.100

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You have tried a PC on the end of the Ethernet lead going to TiVo to prove the line works?

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
eddgrant
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ozsat,

I've checked the continuity of all of the cables that I've tried using my cable tester, they were all fine. I haven't my laptop in to one end and the TiVo in to the other though, what would you expect to happen? Does the TiVo have some sort of ethernet host in it that would give the laptop NIC an IP address?

Many thanks,

Edd

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Before you switched to modem mode did you have the V6 connected to the SH3 by Ethernet cable?

If not then it sounds like the port on the V6 might be goosed.

0 Kudos
eddgrant
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eeeps,

Yep, have had the V6 connected by ethernet since day 1. I did wonder if, somehow my changing over to modem mode had buggered the port up on the V6 somehow. 😥

Will try the suggestions above and report back.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
1st you need to try ozsat's suggestion, unplug the ethernet from the v6 and plug it into a laptop to see if it can connect to the internet via the ethernet cable ok (make sure the laptops wifi is disabled to make sure it is connecting via ethernet).
That way you'll know if it's an issue specific with the V6 or with the connection.

DNS servers wont be a problem, mine works fine with googles. (although I think for initial setup of netflix etc it may want virgins.. been a while but I remember that there was some sort of problem).

Steve

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The first thing I'd do is connect a PC or the V6 directly to the Unifi Gateway, and whether that works or not will be instructive.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos