Menu
Wardsi
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Missing cable adapter

Second V6 box sent to me a month ago, cable adapter missing from box so can't use it.  Have been trying ever since to get hold of Virgin Media, an experience similar to being trapped in a Kafka novel.  Finally got a response from their text service and they arranged to send me a cable.  No communication since and I have no idea if the cable is on it's way or not.  Genuinely can't face the ordeal of trying to contact customer service for a - no exaggeration - 7th attempt; took to Twitter and got a response from VM immediately, strangely enough .... They said they can't help but I should post here; will try it then next step legal I guess ref. missing goods that I've paid for.

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing cable adapter

I suggest you give up with VM and buy an adapter (female F Type to male aerial adapter)

0 Kudos
Wardsi
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Eeeps - yes, you're probably right ... it just sticks in the throat.  VM have the fastest broadband and the package overall is good; how they manage to have such breathtakingly abysmal customer service is beyond me.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps wrote:

I suggest you give up with VM and buy an adapter (female F Type to male aerial adapter)

Just remember if you make what's classed as "unauthorised modifications" to VM's network, or connect cables not sourced from VM to your equipment, you do run the risk of that kit causing noise issues on your local cable segment which can affect service to other customers in your area.

You could potentially be charged for VM's costs in tracing/investigating the resulting faults.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Eeeps wrote:

Just remember if you make what's classed as "unauthorised modifications" to VM's network, or connect cables not sourced from VM to your equipment, you do run the risk of that kit causing noise issues on your local cable segment which can affect service to other customers in your area.

You could potentially be charged for VM's costs in tracing/investigating the resulting faults.

I can't find the phrase 'unauthorised modifications' in VM's terms and conditions. The only thing I do see is a plea by VM...

'Please do not move any equipment.  Should you later wish to alter the routing or location of any existing equipment such as cables or wall sockets, you should contact us.'

This term also uses the word 'should' rather than 'must'. If it was mandatory to not move equipment then VM would have made this clear with a phrase such as 'Equipment must not be moved'.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A couple of other regular posters on here (who may chip in if they come across this thread) have personal experience of, shall we say, well-intentioned but ultimately DIY, fixes going wrong and causing faults on the local network.

I suspect as far as legals go, section H, 2, 4 of the T&Cs would be as good a place to start as any...

"2. You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times.  To do this, you agree to do the following: 4. not tamper with disassemble, misuse, neglect or damage the equipment;"

Adding your own equipment or cabling to that which VM have supplied/installed, could very easily be classed as tampering if it caused issues for other customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

A couple of other regular posters on here (who may chip in if they come across this thread) have personal experience of, shall we say, well-intentioned but ultimately DIY, fixes going wrong and causing faults on the local network.

I suspect as far as legals go, section H, 2, 4 of the T&Cs would be as good a place to start as any...

"2. You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times.  To do this, you agree to do the following: 4. not tamper with disassemble, misuse, neglect or damage the equipment;"

Adding your own equipment or cabling to that which VM have supplied/installed, could very easily be classed as tampering if it caused issues for other customers.

I really don't want to go severely off topic (could this be taken 'outside' to a more appropriate forum) but how does one not tamper (and potentially disassemble) equipment that is supplied for 'self install'. This could be classed as an unfair contact condition, with all the associated implications.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps wrote:

@japitts wrote:

I really don't want to go severely off topic (could this be taken 'outside' to a more appropriate forum) but how does one not tamper (and potentially disassemble) equipment that is supplied for 'self install'. This could be classed as an unfair contact condition, with all the associated implications.

I've highlighted in bold & underline the part that I suspect covers your suggested scenario.

VM are perfectly happy with self-install of supplied equipment, and I'm not suggesting anything of the sort.

What I'm saying, is that sourcing co-ax cable yourself, to then fit to VM equipment, is not a good idea and has the potential to cause issues.

To bring this back on-topic for @Wardsi - am I correct in thinking you are missing the short white flylead that links the incoming co-ax to the back of the V6?

0 Kudos
Wardsi
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japitts - yes, that's correct (screw thread on the incoming cable end, push fit on the V6 box)

0 Kudos