Menu
Cassandrathames
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Loud V6 TV box

Good morning, I joined Virgin Media 2 days ago, and opted for the broadband, tv and phone bundle since I don't have  working aerial at home, so paying extra seemed like a good idea at the time. However, I noticed straight away that the T6 TV box is so loud that I don't even watch tv with it. It's also so loud on standby that I switch it off completely. Constant whirring noise. Even at loud tv volume it still bothers me.after calling the call centre in India with a very rude & agressive adviser who wanted to check my bank details and password which I refused to give over the phone, I had an engineer coming over and switching the box today. Sadly noisewise it's even worse, and I've decided I'm never going to watch the tv with this box ever again. I told the engineer it was too noisy but he said it was the norm...

Is it a known issue or am I the only one finding the noise of the box shocking ? I can hear it over the tv & when standing 6 meters away in another room.

Is there any chance to switch my contract for just broadband services since there is no way I am going to watch the tv with this device or even leave it on standby ? and what number can I call to speak to someone in the UK who will be willing to assist ? 

thanks for your advice

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loud V6 TV box

I think your hearing is extra sensitive, all boxes whoever the provider is with a spinning disc makes a noise. 

Can the box be moved to somewhere else like in a cupboard or behind the TV where its less likely to be heard?

Virgin don't have a special number to speak to British staff

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

you can also get resonance. try raising the box off of what it's sitting on  with some rubber feet

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Cassandrathames
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. I have tried everything, but moving the box far away is limited due to the lay out of the cables. I have never noticed a TV box being so noisy before, with any other provider, or at my friends when they had the Tivo box. I don't think noticing the loud whirring when the tv is at volume 20 or from 2 rooms away means that I have over sensitive hearing. However I often have migraines so it won't help. It's doing my head in, I simply don't think it is satisfactory for me, so if I'm being difficult then fair enough, just wanted to check if it was by device or known fault 🙂 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi the box should not make a noise, luckily I have never experienced any noise from any of the many boxes I have had, the most common source of noise comes from the hard drive. Regards Micky
0 Kudos