Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lossy sound

Hi 

I own a samsung HW-T420 2.1 channel soundbar. Which is soundbar & wired subwoofer. When selected dolby digital in my V6 audio setting I seem to get lossy sound on some movies when recorded. But not all. Recorded programs seem okay. I did query this with Samsung. They said I need to select dolby digital. Not pcm. As dolby digital does 2.1 channel dolby. Apparently dolby pcm is for Channel 5.1 and up 🤔 now I'm scratching my head. My soundbar does have dolby Dts decoding. Virgin media tv tech team weren't much help🙁. They said dolby digital will give lossy sound. And to use pcm. Samsung told me to select dolby digital. Advice please 🙂

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lossy sound

Hi dolby digital should be selected for 5.1 & 2.1 sound, PCM will only provide stereo not surround sound.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Micky 🙂.

What should I do when I'm watching a recorded movie with faint sound. Where its quiet when actors are speaking? This doesn't appear to happen on all recorded movies 🤔. Example. I noticed the sound was very faint when I watched fatal attraction 1987. Which I had recorded off sky cinema channel. I have my soundbar in smart mode. Its options are smart, surround sound, standard & Game. Also I have sound sync which starts at 0. Upto 300. My bass is set to +4, Treble +4 subwoofer +4, sound sync set to 300Ms. Hope this helps? 

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again there have been many complaints on here related to low sound on virgins systems, you just have to increase your volume on your device, i notice the sound on Netflix & Amazon video via a fire stick i don't have to do that. Regards Micky
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thats good to know that I'm not the only one with the lossy sound issue 🙂. Let's hope virgin get their act together and fix the issue. As I'm sure it can be fixed with some adjustments at their end? 

J.H
0 Kudos