Menu
PIM499
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Loss of Sound

When switching on the TV there is no sound. 2nd level support got me to change the Video settings, trying all to no avail. Finally she told be to set to 720p, I pressed the volume up button on the remote and the sound came on. I think this caused the sound to come on and not the Video setting. In my naivity can someone explain why the Video setting would affect the audio.

0 Kudos
C-Bithell
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of Sound

Hi there my name is Chris Bithell I am a virgin media technician

These two settings are not linked so im lost to how this has resolved your issues.

If your having sound issues, im not sure why youve been advised to adjust your video output settings.Is your sound all back working now?

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
PIM499
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

That is what I kept trying to say to her. She had a very strong Indian accent was difficult to understand at times. I perhaps created a bit of the problem myself. After changing the Video Settings about 5 times I thought I would press the Increase Volume button. It was on 18, it increased to 19 and the sound came on. She then thought she had resolved it. She just wouldn't listen to the fact I had adjusted the volume. For a 2nd line engineer who was just going through a checklist without knowing what she was doing is extremely disappointing. This fault happens every time the TV and V6 box are turned on. The TV first, waiting for the screen to be live and then the V6 box. Sometimes after watching for a couple of hours the V6 box stops video and audio. After about 5 seconds it comes back. Other times it just goes all together and we have to watch the TV via the coax. I have tried all HDMI slots and 2 different HDMI cables. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Regards Phil

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can certainly imagine it is @PIM499

I am sorry that you're having this issue - as our tech @C-Bithell advises above, the picture ratio is not going to impact the sound at all. 

Are you switching your V6 box off at the wall each night and the same with your TV Phil? The V6 should be kept on as much as possible - especially overnight as this is when we send updates. Have you tried leaving it on and just turning the TV off at night? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
PIM499
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

I switch off both with the remotes. Therefore they are both left in standby mode. Should I leave the V6 on?

Regards Phil

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hey PIM499,

I would recommend switching off the boxes at the wall socket when not in use, however this isn't absolutely necessary.

Are you 100% positive that the sound issue is originating from the box rather than the TV itself? Does the TV sound work fine when on other sources?

Can you also please clarify if all channels are affected or only certain ones, for example HD channels?

Lastly, I'd suggest checking the Audio settings and if it’s currently set to Dolby Digital, try Dolby Digital to PCM instead by following - Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio

Let me know how that goes.

Beth

0 Kudos
PIM499
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

The TV works fine with the coax input. The problem appears to be on any channel.  It is so intermittent that it is difficult to give precise conditions. However I will also say that after a number of hours watching TV the sound and picture may disappear. I was wondering if there is a heat problem? The V6 box is fairly well ventilated but it maybe overheating. How would I know?

Regards Phil

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi PIM499

Can I ask if you're a single or multi-room user?  If multi-room, is your other set top box working fine?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi you are getting mixed messages from virgin people on here, you are doing the right thing leaving them on standby specially your virgin box as that is receiving data the whole time,with the symptoms you describe i would be inclined to look at connections, make sure the coxial cables are tight and the HDMI pushed in fully, I'm assuming you have a V6 box if so you have the right specification HDMI cable it should be a 4K high speed one. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
PIM499
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee_R

I have a Tivo box in another room but it is hardly ever used. I can't remember the last time.

Regards Phil

0 Kudos