cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at upcoming recordings on anotherv6 box

flipflop104
On our wavelength

Hello,

So I've got a V6 box in the living room and a 2nd box in the bedroom. I know I can watch recorded stuff from the living room box when I'm in the bedroom, but can I look at upcoming recordings and manage series links on the living room box when I'm in the bedroom?

Thanks in advance

28 REPLIES 28

I'm fairly sure I don't have wifi max and so I would incur further costs, which I wasn't warned about as my TV doesn't work properly in the extra room.  

Hi @flipflop104,

Due to the nature of wireless/Wi-Fi connections in general, there are many variables beyond a provider's control that can impact it.

Have you downloaded and used the Connect App as advised yet? If so, what are the results when you perform a scan in the impacted room/area of the property?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@Zach_R

I've done a scan:

Living room (where the hub is) = Hub Speed - Download Speed - 274Mbps, Upload Speed - 26 Mbps, Device Capability - 867 Mbps, Latency - 12 ms, Jitter - 2 ms, Packet Loss - 0%, WiFi Signal Strength =  -40 dBm

Bedroom (where the additional V6 box is) = Hub Speed - Download Speed - 227 Mbps, Upload Speed - 26 Mbps, Device Capability - 867 Mbps, Latency - 13 ms, Jitter - 3 ms, Packet Loss - 0%, WiFi Signal Strength =  -50 dBm

It should also be noted (as I am getting increasingly frustrated with this new box and it's limitations) that while watching programmes, the programmes "jump" during recorded shows (I counted 4 times in a 30mins show that had adverts so is actually about a 24 mins show) - when I say "jump", I mean they kinda pause the sound but not the visual (like a glitch where the screen judders and loses sound) so you can still sort of see what's going on but you miss a couple of words.

Also the remote is terrible even though it says it's doesn't need to be in "line of sight" of the box.  It's like it goes to sleep when you are watching a programme and when you want to forward through adverts you have to press the forward button about 7 or 8 times before it will start forwarding.  And then when you press play again, it doesn't work so you're half way through the second segment of the show before it eventually plays and so you have to then rewind and it doesn't play when you've rewound to where you want, so you end up in a ridiculous loop of FF and RWD to get to the place after the ads that if you'd have watched the ads would have worked out quicker!!

Finally, yesterday I went and got some powerline adapters and plugged one into the hub downstairs and the other into the plug next to the box upstairs (with network cables) so that it's effectively a wired connection to the V6 box in the bedroom and yet I still got the error message I reported at the start of this thread.

"Network Too Slow.  There are problems on your home network preventing you from watching this show.  If you are using a wireless network, you may want to to switch to using an Ethernet cable. (v69).  For more info, visit virginmedia/com/tvcode.  Options Try again or Cancel"

I'm absolutely sick to death of this now.  I consider myself to be fairly ok with dealing with tech stuff and the fact I can't resolve this is absolutely infuriating when I've paid for an engineer to install and get me up-and-running and I'm still having such frustrating issues.  I do appreciate all your help and know it's not you fault but this has been going on far too long now and I need a solution ASAP as I'm tearing my hair out.

Hi @flipflop104,

Thank you for performing the scan and sharing the results. From the results you're getting, you wouldn't be eligible for a Wi-Fi Pod as you're receiving adequate speeds, meaning the cause of your issue lies elsewhere.

Is it only the connection to the V6 box that's experiencing issues for you? Are you having connection problems with any other device in the home?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

On the whole, the issues seem to only be with the new box in the bedroom.  

The remotes work in the living room as there is a "line of sight" to the box downstairs.

The "jumps"/"glitches" in recordings and live TV happens on either box.

Currently no probs with watching recordings downstairs (other than the jumps/glitches) with regards to the error message, as described previously, re. the network.

Hi @flipflop104,

I see. It sounds like it may potentially be an issue related to the box itself. Have you tried rebooting the box to see if that provides any improvement?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Yes, I've rebooted the box several times, to no avail

Hi @flipflop104,

Thank you for giving that a try. It's a shame to hear that it unfortunately hasn't helped.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to that when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Hi @flipflop104,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so that we could look into this for you. As we discussed there, a technician visit has now been scheduled and booked.

I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the booking publicly, but this can be checked and managed via the My Virgin Media online account. It may not appear straight away, but after an hour or so it should update and show it.

A fault technician visit is free of charge unless one of the below instances apply:

•    You are not present for the technician visit.
•    The fault is due to your own equipment.
•    The fault is due to damage caused by yourself or someone at the premises which we were not aware of.
•    The fault is due to theft, loss, or removal of equipment.

If any of the above apply, there will be a £25 charge which will be added to the next monthly bill.

You can find more information about this here.

Let us know how the visit goes either way.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team