Menu
Reply
CatL
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
1,113 Views
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Longer TV cable

Hello, 

sorry if this has already been asked, I am looking to move furniture round my living room and I need a longer cable from my TiVo box to do this, can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how I get one.

 

many thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
  • 17.27K
  • 2.25K
  • 3.98K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
1,104 Views
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

Do you mean the co-ax cable coming into your TiVo? Extending that will mean a non-fault engineer appointment for £99

Or do you mean the HDMI lead from your TiVo to your TV? Any reputable retailer can sell those.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CatL
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
1,087 Views
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

Yes, the white cable that has a label saying wall socket runs from the TiVo to the box. I want a longer one of these. I just assumed I’d be able to buy a longer cable.

0 Kudos
japitts
  • 17.27K
  • 2.25K
  • 3.98K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
1,073 Views
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

The co-ax cable that brings TV signals to your TV box forms part of VM's network and should only be installed & maintained by Virgin Media.

VM use particular high-grade co-ax cable to avoid unwittingly causing signal and/or issues to yourself and other customers on your network segment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Swf
  • 321
  • 3
  • 32
Fibre optic
1,062 Views
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

 


@japitts wrote:

The co-ax cable that brings TV signals to your TV box forms part of VM's network and should only be installed & maintained by Virgin Media.

VM use particular high-grade co-ax cable to avoid unwittingly causing signal and/or issues to yourself and other customers on your network segment.


VM use particular high-grade co-ax cable. You say

What's the name of the cable exactly?      

   

 

 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
  • 7.23K
  • 1.38K
  • 2.09K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
982 Views
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

Hello

You will find that the cable that is used by Virginmedia is made for them and is not available elsewhere, from what has previously been posted the cable is triple screened, adjusting the length of the cable can cause power level changes and could take the connection outside of the specs and affect not just the customer but everybody else connected to the same green box, hence why in the T&C's it is clearly mentions that adjustments to cable / equipment is not allowed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_G
  • 1.15K
  • 53
  • 136
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
878 Views
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

Hi @CatL,

 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting regarding the cable.

 

Our VIPs have been correct in advising that this would require a tech visit to install the correct cable needed, as this ensures your service and neighbouring ones still run smoothly. The call out fee is £99.

 

If you would like to book an appointment do let us know and we can arrange this.

 

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team



New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide


0 Kudos
Swf
  • 321
  • 3
  • 32
Fibre optic
842 Views
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable


@Molly_G wrote:

Hi @CatL,

 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting regarding the cable.

 

Our VIPs have been correct in advising that this would require a tech visit to install the correct cable needed, as this ensures your service and neighbouring ones still run smoothly. The call out fee is £99.

 

If you would like to book an appointment do let us know and we can arrange this.

 

Many thanks,


That's a bargain.    I'm so sorry mentioned the £5 ones from amazon..... I didn't know that's against terms . Well done the VIPs..  Helping the normal persons again   .   What about asking the virgin staff in the street for a longer cable from there van?   Maybe giving them a drink Is that OK?.    

0 Kudos
nodrogd
  • 17.5K
  • 2.05K
  • 4.37K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
783 Views
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable

I would have suggested Amazon ones in the past. But with increases in compression in the CATV streams & VM Broadband having to occupy more "noisey" parts of the spectrum now thanks to the provisioning of 4G & now 5G mobile services using these former TV broadcast frequencies, doing so will just cause more SNR issues for customers in future.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
  • 5.39K
  • 547
  • 923
Superstar
775 Views
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer TV cable


@Swf wrote:

@Molly_G wrote:

Hi @CatL,

 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting regarding the cable.

 

Our VIPs have been correct in advising that this would require a tech visit to install the correct cable needed, as this ensures your service and neighbouring ones still run smoothly. The call out fee is £99.

 

If you would like to book an appointment do let us know and we can arrange this.

 

Many thanks,


That's a bargain.    I'm so sorry mentioned the £5 ones from amazon..... I didn't know that's against terms . Well done the VIPs..  Helping the normal persons again   .   What about asking the virgin staff in the street for a longer cable from there van?   Maybe giving them a drink Is that OK?.    


Your idea is a good one but a longer cable will require the signal levels to be adjusted between your box and the street cabinet.Regards Micky 

0 Kudos