Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Ethernet Cat6 to V6 box not working

OfelasUK
Joining in

Hello,

I currently have the following set up: -

Virgin Hub 3.0 in Modem Mode connected to Netgear Nighthawk R8000P (upstairs).

The Nighthawk is then connected to a Virgin Powerline. The other end of the Powerline then connects to a Netgear GS908E Switch and then to my V6 Box (downstairs).

No major issues with this but the Powerline needs resetting every so often. 

I purchased a 20 metre Cat6 Ethernet cable with the intention of running it outside and hard connecting the Nighthawk direct to the Switch and eliminating the Powerline.

Prior to drilling holes I ran the cable inside to test it would work.

My V6 box states it is connected. I get an IP address and all self tests pass. But On Demand etc. refuses to work. Reconnect the Powerline and it works straight away.

I've tested the cable by connecting it to a laptop, works fine.

I've turned everything off and back on again.

I have tried the cable direct from the Nighthawk to the V6 box, not luck.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, missing thumbnails and program graphics.

That's a blocked port all day long. The only surefire way to fix this will be to start going through your router logs and identify the ports that your V6 is trying - without success - to use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you first clarify exactly what you mean by...

@OfelasUK wrote:

My V6 box states it is connected. I get an IP address and all self tests pass. But On Demand etc. refuses to work. Reconnect the Powerline and it works straight away.

I'm going to hazard a guess your "box states it is connected" comment comes from looking in the Network Connections screen, but can you confirm?

And what "self tests" is it that you're trying? Some of the diagnostic tests on the V6 menus fail even on working systems and aren't worth worrying about.

What exactly happens when you try to use OnDemand? Do you get any error codes/messages? These may help.

The vast majority of problems with V6/360 and "modem mode" in my experience (both personally, and responding to posts on here) are caused by blocked ports in the router,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes, you're correct, the tests are all the V6 box Network Diagnostics and Status screens.

Normally when I go to On Demand, especially Sky Movies, we get the three boxes at the top with show adverts in, the logos for the film categories and the film box covers.

When I connect the Cat6 cable, I get none of these. I get text in the advert boxes and the film logos and box covers are all missing. This is the same if I leave it for hours or reconnect to Virgin Media services.

As soon as I reconnect the Powerline, it all comes back. Pretty quickly.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, missing thumbnails and program graphics.

That's a blocked port all day long. The only surefire way to fix this will be to start going through your router logs and identify the ports that your V6 is trying - without success - to use.

Blocked ports? OK, interesting. 

Thank you. Any suggestions for an easy way to find the blocked ports?

I'm comfortable logging in to my Router etc. Just not sure about finding which ports the V6 is trying to access. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One reliable way should be to make sure your router has all relevent logging enabled, and then try to use those VoD services on your V6. By trying to use the ports that are being blocked, and logging being on - the resulting logfile will hopefully identify the offending ports.

It may not be a quick process.

The V6 box is now stating I need to open the following TCP ports on my Nighthawk: -

Any ideas?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where is it stating this?

If you're using the port configuration test, then don't trust the results. That often fails on perfectly working systems - mine included.

Use the router log files as I previously suggested. It won't be quick, but will be reliable.

Ok, thank you.

Just so I understand...

I've to set the V6 box up with the long Cat6 cable. Then check my router logs for what ports the V6 is trying to use.

What am I looking for in the logs? Anything specific?

Sorry, I'm no expert and don't want to screw my router or V6 box up.

You can put the hub back into router mode thus enabling you to connect the V6 to it by Ethernet cable. The Nighthawk can be connected to the hub as a WiFi access point in a LAN to LAN configuration using dynamic IP and its DHCP server disabled. You'll obviate the need to run the cable downstairs and you'll get WiFi from both the hub and Nighthawk.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection