Menu
funsize
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Linking Tico box issues

We recently had Virgin fit a new V6 box downstairs, next to our hub. Our other bedroom one has always been fine except for not being willing to stream from the downstairs box, though it does ‘see’ it and shows the recordings etc. After reading on here we decided to fit Ethernet cables from the hub to the wall and the upstairs wall to the box. The feed is no better. Also my port connection test showed ‘fail’, is this connected? Finally, do both boxes need to have the same IP address to talk to each other? Thanks 😊

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Linking Tico box issues

The port connection test is unreliable and often fails on perfectly working systems, and so you can safely disregard its results.

As long as each V6 box is connected to the same router, then multiroom streaming should work perfectly well - assuming the connection is reliable enough.

Can each individual box use OnDemand ok? The V6 <---> Hub connection is the same one used for multiroom streaming vs OnDemand.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
funsize
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Linking TiVo box issues

Thanks for your reply. The older upstairs box has always been hesitant with on demand, it’ll find stuff and play it but sometimes holds, spinning wheel etc. Fitting the Ethernet cables meant we thought that would be cured, alas it’s the same. As said previously, it sees the downstairs box/hub but isn’t on a par with the slick operating living room box where the hub is. The cables are 5e spec.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you tried different Ethernet cables, just to eliminate the possibility of a duff one?

More importantly, have you tried swapping the boxes around - see where the issue follows?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
funsize
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The cables are used but only fitted over the weekend, will try a change as well as the box swap, thank you. I’ve just tried stuff now, on demand, apps etc are as quick as downstairs, same with watching recorded content. However, playing programmes from the downstairs box are still slow and a bit sticky. 

If it matters, the Network status mirrors each other and both say ‘Wired Ethernet adapter. All the addresses and masks match except fir the MAC ID and the IP addresses, upstairs says 192.168.0.34 downstairs 192.168.0.28, does this matter?
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To your last part, it doesn't matter no. All devices have a different Mac ID and internal IP. The 192.168.0.34 and .28 are internal IP addresses.

I know this may be an odd question to ask, but I'm safe to assume that both boxes are actually connected via their white coax cables at the back? Also maybe try disconnecting all devices from the WiFi/Ethernet so that only the TiVo boxes are connected to your home network then try, another option is potentially restarting the Hub. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
funsize
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice, yes all cables are definitely tight and in order and I will try the later suggestions tomorrow. Everything appears to check out and I’m also going to buy a couple of new Cat 8 Ethernet cables to hopefully eliminate that..!
0 Kudos