Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Leaving soon

I have been a virgin media and blue yonder customer for 18 yrs . 2 years ago I had one of my three boxes removed from the account ,now that I want a box back they want to charge me £150.00 installation but it’s already cabled so no need for the fleecing charge I have spoke with 3 lots of different telephonists at virgin who all ask their manager who tell them no make him pay well it’s soon to be good by virgin the only good thing about you is the broad band and that breaks down at times , with sky you only need one box and the rest are WiFi no need for the cables I installed years ago.

come on virgin tempt me to stay 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving soon

There are advantages & disadvantages with both SkyQ & V6.

Unless you get the more expensive UHD Sky box, you will only have 6 tuners available to run both the main box & all the minis. Only 2 of these are available for recordings on the main box. All the recording are held together with no indexing, so if you have other family members using the minis their recordings will get mixed up with everyone else’s.

A lot of people mix SkyQ with VM Broadband, as Sky cannot offer the speeds available on VM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

to get the best deals you need to switch at the end of your contract.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ahh but I will be £150 better off, do you know if the old v box still works non recorder still work
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

no All VM equipment must have a valid subscription to work

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A bit of a correction to my previous post as I have now found the reviews of the SkyQ boxes I was looking for.

The 1TB non UHD box has 8 tuners & you can record a max of 3 channels at any time while viewing a forth. You are also restricted to 2 SkyQ minis per main box. With VM I have seen customers with in excess of 4 V6 boxes per installation, giving you 4TB+ of recording space plus 24+ tuners to use. With inter-box streaming & seperate recordings on each box this would be the best option for a big household.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for finding out for me but I don’t see why after 18 years I should pay £150 installation for a box I wonder what they would charge to reinstate an existing v box non recording 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

they will not. V boxes are not supported anymore.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I thought that an extra V6 costs £99.95 for an existing customer (but £49.95 for a new customer) plus £25 set up fee plus £7.50 per month.

Also some people who switch to Sky find that the dish and other installation costs to be high, and the broadband to be a lot slower than VM's.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am out of contract 

0 Kudos