forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Floateruk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is V6 DIY Installation Possible?

Good morning all. 

I have a BB, TV and phone package, but we have never required the phone or TV up until now. I would like to connect the V6 box that the engineer left, but I am wondering if it is possible to do myself? 

I have spoken to virgin twice on the phone in the last week and both times I have been told that I would not need an engineer and that the box will work over wifi, but having read a few articles on the internet, it appears this is false info, and that the "coax" virgin cable will need to be "split" and run into the next room to connect to the V6 box. 

I can see splitters on ebay etc, and I presume that I can buy the cable myself too... but is there more required than simply pluggin in the coax cable and turning it on? Do I need an engineer to come help? 

We're trying to save money at the moment, and if engineers are £99, we could do without spending that if we can. 

Any help, advice or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is V6 DIY Installation Possible?

Can you get the signal levels from you hub and if they are sufficient I will help you with what you need and how to put it all together.

to get these signals go to 192.168.0.1 on a browser, click router status under the login and then copy and paste the information from the downstream and upstream tabs into a reply here,

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should not be messing with Virgin’s network cabling. Any cabling that is non-standard or not fitted correctly is liable to cause noise ingress or micro-reflections in the cabling that could disrupt not only your services but those of your neighbours.

As you have not had the box installed originally, I’m sure the forum team here should be able to get a tech visit arranged for far less than £99.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Floateruk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for the replies! It sounds like it's best to leave to the experts.... So what's the best way of getting an expert?? Shall I try calling again...? Or can they be arranged here somehow?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

staff here can arrange that but they can take about a week to get to threads

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would also point out that with the current COVID situation, & in common with other providers, VM are only doing home visits where emergency work is required at the moment.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos