Menu
GeoffB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent hesitations in TV signal

In the past week I've noticed hesitations/jumps in TV picture and audio. They only last a fraction of  second - just like a stutter. Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent hesitations in TV signal

Any particular channels affected? If it’s a BBC1 English regional channel I know why.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
GeoffB
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, noticed it during Six o'clock News on BBC 1 (London)

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep! You have spotted the known problem that is happening on all TV platforms.

This is a network switching problem between the BBC & their transmission partner Arqiva. When there are no regional programmes being inserted there is a bypass in operation that allows the regional studios to be switched out. An automated system switches the link in about two minutes before each regional insertion so you switch from viewing the bypass signal to the one passing through the regional output suite. Having the signal pass through the regional suite  & out again causes a half second delay in the output compared to the bypass signal, so the bypass signal itself has (or should have) a half second delay imposed to make these transitions seamless.

At the moment this is not happening, which is causing the glitches you are seeing. Arqiva are aware of it & hopefully it will be dealt with shortly.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks