Menu
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent dolby digital 1080p.

Hi. 

I've noticed when I'm watching movies recorded off sky cinema. A strip across top of screen pops up intermittently saying dolby digital 1080p. It doesn't seem to effect the picture. It's just annoying. It only happens on recordings from sky cinema channels. Recordings from other channels appear to be fine. Is it caused by a drop in signal while it's recording? 

J.H
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent dolby digital 1080p.

Are you using a TiVo or a V6?

How is the audio output from your box routed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

I've got the v6 tivo receiver. My V6 is plugged into my tivo via hdmi lead. I use a 2.1 Samsung soundbar with subwoofer. My soundbar is plugged into back of my Sony bravia tv via optical toslink cable. The audio setting on my V6 is set to dolby digital. As I was advised on here that's the setting to use for a 2.1 soundbar 😊. I don't have any issues with sound. The previous update seems to have resolved the sound issue. The subwoofer is plugged into the back of my soundbar. 

J.H
0 Kudos
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Oops sorry forgot to clarify I'm using the v6 to record and watch sky cinema channel movies 😁. I've got the box set to dolby digital on v6 audio setting as I have a Samsung 2.1 dolby digital soundbar with a wired subwoofer. Hope this helps? 

J.H
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johnny1983,

Thank you for posting about this on screen message, it does sound a little unexpected.

I'm unsure exactly what the message may be referring to, as 1080p refers to the video resolution whereas Dolby Digital relates to audio. It is possible that this is flagging a brief dip in audio/visual quality during the recording, although I must admit I've not come across this particular symptom before.

Could you confirm what resolution settings you currently have selected on your V6? If you're unsure, you can check this via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format. If you have multiple options selected, the V6 is likely to switch between whichever option performs best at the time.

Could you also let me know whether you've ever seen this when watching the Sky Cinema channels live or is it only during recordings?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael 

My V6 is set to audio dolby digital.  

As I have a Samsung 2.1 dolby digital soundbar which has a wired subwoofer. My tv is Sony bravia 1080p.

I've only seen this issue on recordings from sky cinema channels. It only does it intermittently. It doesn't happen on live channels. My V6 box is only a few month old. All connections are tight. I did a reboot recently 😊

J.H
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johnny1983,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming that you've never seen this on any live content.

I appreciate that you've got the audio settings set up for Dolby Digital for your soundbar. Could you please take a look at the video output settings for the V6 itself by pressing Home on your remote and selecting the following menu options Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format? Once there, you should see a list of different resolutions. Please let me know which is/are ticked.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael 

I've got 1080p pass through ticked. And 1080p 😊.

Do I need to tick any other boxes? 🤔

J.H
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johnny1983,

No, that's fine 🙂 You're welcome to tick or untick as many of these options as you like, it will just allow the V6 to choose whatever resolution it feels is optimal for the content you are watching at the time.

As you have two options ticked, the V6 is able to switch between these at will to ensure it's providing the best quality available. This may be a silly question, but does the message seem to pop up at the beginning or end of ad breaks? I'm wondering if it's switching to a different resolution whilst ads are playing to account for any differences in picture.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael 

It does it during the movie on sky cinema when recorded. 

Would my best option be to tick all boxes that the settings will allow? 

J.H
0 Kudos