cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info Banner

Zipgoesamillion
Joining in

New tv connected to box, no aerial.  The info banner initially appeared for the first few weeks but has now disappeared.  It now says “Title not available”.  I don’t want to lose my recordings or series links, if avoidable.  Other boxes in the house are ok.  Do I need to add an Ethernet cable between tv and box to add the page info?

20 REPLIES 20

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's clarify what your setup is...

Virgin Media is a cable operator, you will need a co-ax cable connection for broadcast TV channels, and the current V6 & 360 boxes need an internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & other online functions.

All VM TV boxes need an active subscription.

Freeview is a free-to-air terrestrial platform which you can receive through an aerial. Freeview is completely separate to Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for all that.  However, I am a virgin subscriber and initially when this new tv was set up I got the info banner.   The tv runs from the cable box and the Tv via the Co-axel cable.  I have all the channels and the picture is fine and a number of programmes recorded under my shows.  What I don’t have now is the info banner.  Our other boxes do have said info banner with brief description of content.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which TV box do you have? Check here if you're not sure 

Could you post a picture of the info banner on one of your working boxes, just to confirm what isn't working on another one?

Can you use OnDemand on the non-working box?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Perhaps you are in luck. I could do without the Info Banner which annoyingly pops up every time I change channel. I do actually know what I'm doing...

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hello @Zipgoesamillion,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your TV services.

What TV box is having these issues? Is it connected to the Wi-Fi or the wired connection?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

Th box I am having problems with is a V6. I had a new TV immediately before Xmas and set it up ok or so I thought.   I’m sure I had programme details, banner/ info page etc and could record programmes initially.  I now have none of that.  I have a great picture and can change channels with the virgin remote but not banner or programme info nor can I record programmes.  Pressing my shows just bring up programmes recorded before I lost this function.  The V6 box shows the white band when in use and to the left hand box the Virgin wiggle and what looks like two arrows pointing away from each other.  The cables running from the box to the tv are the co-axiel installed by virgin, HDMI and the power cable,  

We have two other boxes in the house one of which is connected to the router the other runs off the WiFi the same as the above mentioned box.  No problems with the other two boxes.  

Does this particular box which runs off WiFi need a Ethernet cable between the V6 and the TV.  If so, is this the cause of our difficulties or is it a box related problem?

Help please

You should run an Ethernet cable to the V6 in order to see if there is a difference. It's always a good idea to have a long cat 5e cable for testing.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zipgoesamillion wrote:

Hi Hayley,

Th box I am having problems with is a V6. I had a new TV immediately before Xmas and set it up ok or so I thought.   I’m sure I had programme details, banner/ info page etc and could record programmes initially.  I now have none of that.  I have a great picture and can change channels with the virgin remote but not banner or programme info nor can I record programmes.

What happens when you try to record programmes? Or try to watch your recordings? If, as it sounds like, the recordings are failing - go into "Recording hiccups" from Home > My Shows and see what's listed as the reason for each failed recording.

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections.. 1: Co-ax cable carrying broadcast TV channels, 2: An internet connection, via your homehub, for all online functionality - OnDemand, streaming, and various updates.

For "2", an Ethernet connection is always recommended given a choice, but reliable wireless is usually ok providing the signal strength is sufficient.

My earlier recordings are there in my shows and I can watch them.  Recoding Hiccups gives me a code 230, box no longer connected to the internet.  Some options not available until internet connection fixed.  I shall pick up an Ethernet cable tomorrow or the day after.  Never had the latter lead for the previous tv?