Menu
Sullywine
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Impossible To Change Set Top Box To V6

Why is it that if you need to get in touch with Virgin Media for anything, they virtually make it impossible, even for somebody who has stuck by them through thick and thin over the last 25 years.

At 80 I thought I would give myself some home comfort and indulge with Netflix and Prime Tv only to find that my Tivo box, which was installed over 10 years ago, was to old and just needed to be upgraded to a V6 before it would allow me to install these programs, now you would think that would be easy especially as Ive been with them so many years, NOT ON YOR LIFE!!!!

Ive spent best part of the day trying to do this, eventually using a chat-line to Shane. Although this last resort was polite, he really did not help me and was very ambiguous with what he could offer. According to our conversation I have to take out a complete new TV package which includes all films in HD, comprehensive BT Sports etc all of which I do not want. One of the reasons given me for not being able to do this easily was apparently Im not on contract. Although a monthly paying customer for TV, Phone and Broadband I am not covered under the heading Contract subsequently I have to take out this new, and Im told 18 month package, just so I can get my Tivo box replaced so that I can use Netflix or Prime TV...WHAT A RIP OFF.

I can see why all my family abandoned Virgin: Maybe leaving them for a company you can easily contact and who keep their equipment up to date to accept modern technology that's been around for several years now, is the answer but, it seems so much upheaval for what is probably one of the easiest of requests in the world, change over a set top box or is it all about money.

The profit this company make you would think at the very least somebody they could man a phone, I appreciated we are just coming through a pandemic, but other large corporations manage why cant this mob and why am I paying for a service and set top box that is useless and unable to accept up to date technology.

Any suggestions or solutions please e-mail. The repeats and rubbish that is churned out on normal TV really needs updating as well but when a pensioner like myself moves one step forward he is pushed three steps backwards with all the extra cost involved so a solution would be welcomed. Thank you. Michael     

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible To Change Set Top Box To V6

If you want a new box you need to choose a new package. Have a look and see what package you want then speak to retentions

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are out of contract you are being ripped off anyway, as you will no longer have most of the discounts you automatically get by being in contract.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As advised you will need a new contract to get a V6 and my experience is that a better price is always obtained. An alternative is to buy a device such as a Fire TV, Roku or Google Chromecast for about £30 but I suspect that you will be worse off than getting a new contract as you are undoubtedly paying too much as an out of contract customer.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Michael,

You need to have broadband with Virgin to have either the V6 or the TV360 boxes, both of which have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

You can check out the prices and what's available on the following page <<< Here >>> 

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price, you should look at obtaining a price point in between the two, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. And ask for free exchange to the V6 as part of the new contract.

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract, and a free upgrade to the V6 box.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
roy247
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi Michael,

You need to have broadband with Virgin to have either the V6 or the TV360 boxes, both of which have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

They are not included as part of any bundle, if you have Netflix and Prime accounts you can access them on V6 and 360 boxes.

0 Kudos
Sullywine
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice, its appreciated. It seems Im between the devil and the deep blue sea and will have to pay out more money if I want to use Prime TV. As said, I already have a package which includes Virgin phone, TV and Broadband, I thought you could just pay for an exchange box. Oh well. Michael

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why would you think that the superior V6 would come at no cost? And why do you seem surprised to have to pay for Prime Video? Nobody objects to paying for a competitor like Netflix, in both cases all the licensing and original content costs a fortune.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos