Menu
Crosby
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Image quality

I have recently added Sky Sports to my package but the quality of image is awful, really blurry.

I normally watch HD channels or stream and quality is great on those channels is great.

I realise the quality of HD is higher but the difference is too great, the standard quality is awful.

Any ideas?

I have a brand new Samsung QLED TV.

0 Kudos
tuscans
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Image quality

Agreed.

I have an OLED and the picture quality on Sky Sports is awful through the V6 box. BT 4K is fine ( minus HDR ) but it feels like the bitrate or compression is poor on all of Sky Sports channels. Last season not so much but tonight watching Everton v Salford it looks very much like a Now TV 720p stream I had on the PS4 a few years ago. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The obvious thing is to check your video output settings. If you're using a 4K TV, then many people have report the best results from having 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p selected.

My TV is "only" HD, I have 1080p & 1080p pass-thru selected - but these options are very much worth some trial & error.

I've had a quick look over the bitrates on DBR, between Sky Sports HD & BT Sports HD, and they're pretty well comparable. A bit lower on Sky Golf HD & Sky Cricket HD which is perhaps understandable. There was a thread on here at the start of the week about a football fixture, and apparently the issue was a broadcast fault at Sky's end.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Crosby
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to suggest things to try - I'll give them a go later. 

It is the standard channels I have image quality issues with, the HD channels I have access to are great. The annoyance came when I paid for the Sky Sports package and find the quality so bad, I assume if I paid the extra for Sky Sports HD it would be great. The standard Sky Sports quality is just as bad / good as the normal standard channels but as I mostly have an HD alternative at no extra cost for these it's not such a problem.

As it is across all standard channels perhaps your comments re output settings will help everything else! If not I will just look to cancel this additional package.

Thanks for your input and recognise you don't work for VM just offering advice. 

0 Kudos