cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITVX does not work on my V6 box

MisterPVM
Joining in

ITV Hub updated to ITVX on my V6 box.  It works in that I can search for programs and start them.  The adverts work.

The problem is that after the adverts have played, all I get is a black screen, sometimes with the whirly circle.  I have left it in this state for at least 10 minutes, but nothing changes.  I have paused and restarted but it makes no difference.

It does not matter which program I try to play, new or old, the effects are the same.

So far as I can tell, everything else, such as BBC iPlayer work.  There is no problem with the network connection.

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you watching on a 4K/UHD TV?

There may be an HDCP2.2 compliance issue if so. Try dropping the video output to 1080 in your V6 video settings as a way of proving this either way.

Have you always had this problem, or has it only recently started?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have an HD TV (1080p), so there is not a lot I can change there.

The V6 box has only been set to 1080p (auto).

I have just tried other video settings, but that made no difference.

I had used ITV Hub, though not often.  I only tried ITVX for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago.  It has never worked.

An update.

All4 no longer works.  It shows the same symptoms, i.e. adverts play but the program does not.  It is a long time since I last used it.

BBC iPlayer does work.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The last time these symptoms were commonplace, HDCP was the culprit.

I can't check my V6 at the moment, but I'd suggest eliminating your TV's HDMI port if at all possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm not sure what you mean by 'eliminate your HDMI port'.  I haven't changed things since All4 and ITV Hub worked.

I have found that my TV will not offer ITVX or All4 directly, I guess it is too old (Panasonic 2014).  Does this mean it does not offer the latest version of HDCP?

If HDCP is the problem, why on earth is there no error message?  The system does its key exchange and decides whether it is going to work.  If it isn't, there should be a message not a blank screen.

Yes, HDCP does seem a bit flaky on the Virgin boxes, I can't use any On Demand\Catch Up\Apps other than iPlayer and YouTube even though my amp and projector are both pretty recent and HDCP 2.2 compliant, seems to be a long term issue with Marantz\Denon amps.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MisterPVM wrote:

I have found that my TV will not offer ITVX or All4 directly, I guess it is too old (Panasonic 2014).  Does this mean it does not offer the latest version of HDCP?

Eliminate the HDMI port - try another one on your TV to see if the same thing happens. Without knowing the model number and looking for specs/manuals, it's impossible to say - but 2014 was around the time it started coming in - https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ 

@MisterPVM wrote:

If HDCP is the problem, why on earth is there no error message?  The system does its key exchange and decides whether it is going to work.  If it isn't, there should be a message not a blank screen.

That's one for the software developers as to whether it's viable or would work. But cutting the video output to blank screen is, as I understand, what copy protection is designed to do.

Hi MisterPVM,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your Tv service. 

Has the advice from other users been able to help with this issue?

^Martin

tvrtuscany
Joining in

I get exactly the same issue.  It has worked previously but most of the time it just gets to the end of the ads and then I get a blank screen.  I've tried a different HMDI input port but same issue.  Only seems to be ITV-X and I can get ITV-X playing on a different device.

Was there any resolution for this?