cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I've bricked the V6 box

Claira42
Dialled in

For the last six weeks or so we've been noticing the V6 box has been recording programs we don't even watch like daytime TV, even Bargin Hunt and we've even tried to delete the programs only for them to re-record them again.

It got to the stage where I said that as we don't have much saved on there any more thanks to downloads, I decided to clear and reset the tivo, which is the hardest reset I've done to it. 

The screen went off, did it's usual recycle and the Welcome screen then for a second a page came up saying 'deleting everything this might take an hour'. The box reset and reset again. We've waited over an hour, saw the download sign that other people have reported and the box is very hot.

I called Lahore and they say that I have to wait for someone to call back but I've already asked for someone to come out as I think it's had its day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zebra2
Settling in

I did same to my V6, I brought mine out the reboot loop though with the hard reset combo

turn off at switch; 

hold down on the box the power button and the +button

turn it on - release the buttons after like 30 secs

it will reboot power button will turn blue and it should boot up all reset

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Claira42  The VM Forum Team should be able to help arrange for a replacement box to be issued.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Known-Issue-Clear-and-Reset-Function-V6/m-p/516138...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Claira42
Dialled in

@Graham, why wasn't owners of these boxes told about this? I now have to wait until Tuesday to get a replacement box.

Thanks, Lisa

Claira42
Dialled in

For the last six weeks or so we've been noticing the V6 box has been recording programs we don't even watch like daytime TV, even Bargin Hunt and we've even tried to delete the programs only for them to re-record them again.

It got to the stage where I said that as we don't have much saved on there any more thanks to downloads, I decided to clear and reset the tivo, which is the hardest reset I've done to it. 

The screen went off, did it's usual recycle and the Welcome screen then for a second a page came up saying 'deleting everything this might take an hour'. The box reset and reset again. We've waited over an hour, saw the download sign that other people have reported and the box is very hot.

I called Lahore and they say that I have to wait for someone to call back but I've already asked for someone to come out as I think it's had its day.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Claira42 wrote:

There's several possible reasons for that - suggestions, rogue series links to name but two. There's several other stages of reset that may have helped, without using the reformat option - but it's done now.

Just wait here for staff to respond, there's no need to create extra threads for the same issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

What I can't understand is that if this is a known fault, why wasn't this flagged when I went to reset the tivo? It should have said something like 'Stop, if you reset your box and wipe all your recordings you are potentially killing your machine?'

We went onto the saved series links and suggestions and all these were reset weeks ago, but it was still happening. I mean, who wants to record a five-year-old daytime Tv programme, and yet they were all recorded and waiting for us to watch? It's madness.

Virgin has now potentially put us in a bad position as we have no Tv until Tuesday and no apology was made when I contacted them and they didn't tell me about this fault until I read on here about it. They told me to wait for a phone call that never came. The lady couldn't understand why my box was recycling.

Poor show for a box that has been faultless until now.

Come on Virgin, we're missing programmes over this fault.

Hey Claira42, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some issues with your TV connection.

I would like to look into this and get to the bottom of it.

I am going to send you a PM, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I've turned the box off as I am fed up with seeing it sitting there in orange mode, then white then flashing orange. It's just stuck in an endless cycle. I've been looking on line for a new box, but Ebay don't sell them anymore. Back to watching TV online again today.

Why wasn't this flagged on the screen when I pressed the reset buttons? Poor show and now I have no TV till Tuesday.

So wrong.

@Claira42 wrote:

I've turned the box off as I am fed up with seeing it sitting there in orange mode, then white then flashing orange. It's just stuck in an endless cycle. I've been looking on line for a new box, but Ebay don't sell them anymore. Back to watching TV online again today.

Why wasn't this flagged on the screen when I pressed the reset buttons? Poor show and now I have no TV till Tuesday.

So wrong.

There is something wrong here with VM's network provisioning system. I had to return my v6 box recently as I changed to Stream box.

I did the same thing and selected to reset the v6 from the v6 menu option so none of my data was left behind.

For hours and hours it was in a loop on "downloading". This is a 1gbps connection. In the end I explained to the VM rep who collected the box but for me, wasn't an issue as they reset at the depot where its returned to.

I thought it was just my area with the issue but clearly it isn't.

You can't get a box from ebay as it won't work though. VM have to enable it and they won't for any box that doesn't come from them.

You can't get a box from ebay as it won't work though. VM have to enable it and they won't for any box that doesn't come from them.

So they have you by the short and curlies when you are paying for TV from 10am Thursday until when they install the new box on Tuesday (if they turn up). Where do I go to get a refund for that time?

Amazing!!!