Menu
Pianar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How to add memory to v6 box

• Can I plug any extra memory into the V6 box? e.g. External hard disk. 
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to add memory to v6 box

Nope!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

.. and why would you want to?

V6 is not for archiving recordings.

There’s plenty room to record and watch then delete programs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can only do this with recording boxes/TVs on free TV platforms.

Virgins agreements only allow recordings for "time-shifting" purposes, hence the recordings are classed as temporary.

The agreements certainly do not allow for removable drives, which could lead to illegal copying of content.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Pianar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie, 

It is, in fact, just to record and watch programs. There is not "plenty of room" on the hard disk. There are four people in my house using the box and it is always nearly full, meaning we regularly delete things unwatched. HD recordings take up around six times the space of SD, so really it's like having a 150MB HD a few years ago. That is not huge. I have read the answer below about legalities but surely that's up to the user, not Virgin.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suspect you are recording a lot of stuff which is accessible from the streaming apps on the V6 ??

@Pianar wrote:

Hi Ernie, 

It is, in fact, just to record and watch programs. There is not "plenty of room" on the hard disk. There are four people in my house using the box and it is always nearly full, meaning we regularly delete things unwatched. HD recordings take up around six times the space of SD, so really it's like having a 150MB HD a few years ago. That is not huge. I have read the answer below about legalities but surely that's up to the user, not Virgin.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Pianar wrote:

Hi Ernie, 

It is, in fact, just to record and watch programs. There is not "plenty of room" on the hard disk. There are four people in my house using the box and it is always nearly full, meaning we regularly delete things unwatched. HD recordings take up around six times the space of SD, so really it's like having a 150MB HD a few years ago

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. The codecs used for HD channels have improved over the past few years, and recordings have been reducing in size quite substantially.

0 Kudos
Pianar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Oszat, 

Yes I have thought that, too. The problem is being organised enough to find out which progs are available on demand and keeping a list of what we want to watch and tracking each episode as we get through them.

Is nice to go through a list on screen and choose from the recordings.. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Pianar wrote:

Hi Ernie, 

I have read the answer below about legalities but surely that's up to the user, not Virgin.

You rent the box. Virgin own it & all the recordings on it. These recordings can be blocked from being viewed at any time if the broadcaster of the channel withdraws the rights or you stop subscribing to the channel. As already stated the recordings are temporary & cannot be copied in any way. If your box goes kaput you lose them. The same goes for all Pay TV providers.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The regular programmes you tend to watch quickly can be added to MyShows but as streaming links by amending the 'Series Link' to streaming only.

@Pianar wrote:

Hi Oszat, 

Yes I have thought that, too. The problem is being organised enough to find out which progs are available on demand and keeping a list of what we want to watch and tracking each episode as we get through them.

Is nice to go through a list on screen and choose from the recordings.. 

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos