Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How Virgin can increase sales/upgrades of V6 Box

I spent most of my life in sales and one of the things I learned early in my career and which has stayed true ever since is this:

"Never put obstacles in the way of someone buying something"

I have thought ever since they first came out that I would love to upgrade to the new V6 box as it is supposedly faster and more efficient as well as offering the extra recording options of 6 recordings at a time which would be very handy.

However 2 years on or however long it is since the V6 was launched the Scart output is still disabled and there is still no second HDMI output to use as an option, meaning only one piece of equipment (The TV) can be used with it. Currently like so many other people I have a DVD Player/Recorder operating off the Scart socket on my TIVO and that scart output is split with the second lead going to an RF modulator distributing whatever is playing on the TV to a second TV in the kitchen. I am not trying to watch anything different in the kitchen just the same programme. I already have a second TIVO box which I pay for that's upstairs so its not as though I am trying to deprive Virgin of any extra income.

I am aware that I could buy an HDMI splitter and then another HDMI to Coax modulator which could then be used instead of SCART but the more you split a signal the worse the picture gets.

If I was the only person this bothered then I wouldn't expect Virgin to be concerned but I have a number of friends who are also using Virgin who will not upgrade for the same reason and reading this community forum today I am staggered by just how many threads and posts there are on this same subject.

Virgin Media do yourselves a favour and give this problem some thought, solve it with some form of second output and I think you will be amazed at how many people will suddenly want to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How Virgin can increase sales/upgrades of V6 Box

VM have little say as to what hardware they issue to their subscribers. Those decisions will be made by their parent company - Liberty Global - who supply the hardware in many European countries as well as the UK and it all built to a price point.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i also want the tivo to have a RF input for a megadrive and analog tv.
Oh wait. Scart is dead its not being used in anything now. Move on

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea what a megadrive is apcyberax but without being in any way disrespectful I would suggest that if you can you should update the analogue TV that your using as you wont be getting any of the benefit of HD TV from your TIVO.

Although Scart isn't dead I do agree its a bit outdated which is why in my original post I suggested that a second HDMI output would be a good option, whether that would work with your Megadrive or not I am afraid I don't know.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The reason there is no scart socket or 2nd HDMI output is they don't want you to copy shows to another medium 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My understanding is that the powers that be, namely the content owners, eventually succeeded in pressuring the broadcasters and/or the equipment manufacturers to remove the SCART sockets. So, no SCART for the V6 or for the boxes from other providers such as Sky and BT. It's a bummer as I liked copying TV shows to my DVD recorder, but as the TiVo is awful compared to the V6 I went for the V6.

BTW the so-called SCART of the V6 is nothing of the sort, look carefully at it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos