Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hiding a v6 box

I would like to have my v6 out of site. Could someone advise me how to go about this, as I have had little help from the poor telephone customer service team. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hiding a v6 box

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

You can place a V6 anywhere you like as it’s paired remote can work from anywhere in your home or you can use the Virgin TV Control app to operate it.

The V6 still has to have 4 connections so you will need to consider how you are going to effect each.

1. Power;

2. Co-ax connection to the cable connection point;

3. HDMI cable connection to your TV;

4. Ethernet or WiFi connection to your home broadband.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie, thanks for the response.

the reason I ask is because my box currently has to be in line with the remote for it to work, and when I called virgin yesterday about how I’d go about it I got someone from another country who said it wasn’t possible and the box always had to be in sight of the remote for it to work.

its being hidden inside a feature wall, modem and power in there too, then the tv will sit inside flush with the wall. I wasn’t sure if I would need to upgrade my box, my remote, or both, or maybe get a magic eye for it to work. That’s why I asked.

How do I go about pairing my remote or would I need to get one from virgin? 

Again, thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@stumcmi11an wrote:

Hi Ernie, thanks for the response.

the reason I ask is because my box currently has to be in line with the remote for it to work, and when I called virgin yesterday about how I’d go about it I got someone from another country who said it wasn’t possible and the box always had to be in sight of the remote for it to work.

its being hidden inside a feature wall, modem and power in there too, then the tv will sit inside flush with the wall. I wasn’t sure if I would need to upgrade my box, my remote, or both, or maybe get a magic eye for it to work. That’s why I asked.

How do I go about pairing my remote or would I need to get one from virgin? 

Again, thanks in advance 

The V6 remote will not be an issue. If it is properly paired with the box it is operating on RF & not IR, so does not require line of sight.

The only problem that could occur is overheating. The box does need good air circulation if it is enclosed & will shut down if it gets too hot, & they do get hot in normal operation.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd, cheers for the reply.

its going to be like a hidden shelf, but there'll be an inch around the tv that should provide sufficient circulation. 

How do I go about pairing my remote properly with my box then? As it’s obviously not paired properly at the moment as the box needs to be in sight.

thanks again in advance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They should have been paired at installation, but if not here is how to do it:

1. Press the Channel Down button on the front of the Virgin TV V6 box for 10 seconds.

2. Then, hold the Info button down on the remote for 7 seconds.

3. The light in the top of the remote will flash green twice.

4. Your remote is now paired, so it'll work even if your box is hiding in a cupboard.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wow, as easy as that eh. 

Thats it done. Thanks a lot. Great help!  👍🏼

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think someone needs to tell the guys who answer the phones that this is possible.

I spoke with a technical adviser tonight who point blank refused to agree that it was possible to hide the box. He passed me to somone else who backed up the first adviser. He put me on hold to speak to a senior technical adviser as I was insistent it was possible. While on hold I found this post and fixed it my self.

Interested to know, I waited to hear the solution offered. "The box is designed to operate from a shelf so you need to take it out of the cupboard or leave the door open".

Laughable if it wasn't so frustrating. Anywho, thanks to the posters on this thread for the solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When you say it will be hidden in a wall... you will be able to get to the box easily? Just thinking about if it needs repairing etc. You wouldn't want to have to damage the wall everytime you needed to get to the box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi I too are worried about the lack of access as it's also good practice to reboot every two weeks or so not to mention the lack of fresh air which is essential, I can foresee problems with this.Regards Micky
0 Kudos