cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Green screen on V6 box: DVR has a serious problem

benbobjim
Tuning in

Hi there

My box has failed – just get the green screen saying it's detected a serious fault, then it tries to reboot itself endlessly and keeps failing. 

Can you please send me a new box, as from what I can see online it's not something that can be fixed.

Anyway let me know as soon as you can,

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The, "the DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it; do not switch off for 3 hours”. message is commonly known as the green screen of death. It means that your hard drive has failed. It's not very often that the box is able to recover from this, and if by some miracle it does, then it's only a  matter of time before it fails completely.

You should  call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults) although best time to call is around 8am when lines first open and are least busy.

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The, "the DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it; do not switch off for 3 hours”. message is commonly known as the green screen of death. It means that your hard drive has failed. It's not very often that the box is able to recover from this, and if by some miracle it does, then it's only a  matter of time before it fails completely.

You should  call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults) although best time to call is around 8am when lines first open and are least busy.

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks, I called them and they are sending me a new box apparently. So should be with me in a week or so!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@benbobjim wrote:

Thanks, I called them and they are sending me a new box apparently. So should be with me in a week or so!

Fault replacements are usually done by tech visit - they will fit a new box and take your old one away.

Check your online account for orders showing,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I asked the chap this and he said they wouldn’t send an engineer, just a box with instructions and a prepaid post bag to return the failed unit.

Hi @benbobjim 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear you've an issue with your set top box. I can see that you have had an appointment and this has since looked to have been resolved. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley