cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive fault?

alan_w
Tuning in

Hi,

When starting a Youtube video on my V6,  they start, freeze a few seconds,  resume playing, sometimes they are watchable and other times not at all.   Netflix isn't too good either, it's certainly not running smooth like it used to.   Ordinary TV channels don't seem to be a problem.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All the functions you've explained have problems, are services that use the internet. So the obvious thing to check is how your V6 is connected to your homehub - for it's that which provides the internet connection. Is it Ethernet cable or wireless? And if it's wireless, what's the signal strength?

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right.

Live TV doesn't use the internet, and you've not mentioned problems with recorded or paused/delayed programmes - these use the hard drive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @alan_w

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How is your service today are the issues still ongoingt?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It's connected through the ethernet.  Recordings seem to be fine with smooth playback.  I've never watched a recording so didn't think about checking them until you suggested doing so.

Thanks for your quick response. 

Hi Travis,

The problem seems to happen on 4k and sometimes 1080p videos.   I also Updated my television firmware which has done nothing to solve my issue.  Not sure whether doing that would help anyway.   It's as if there's not enough speed at the start of videos.  I'm on 200m/bit connection.  The V6 is set to 2160p60.

Cheers

Hi alan_w, thanks for the message. Can you confirm if the box is plugged in via a wired connection? if it is not, could you hardwire it to see if you are getting the same issue? Chris

Hi Chris,

The box has always been connected by Ethernet.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated alan_w. I tried to run some check on the box from here using your forum info, but it's showing as unreachable. Either it's off, or it will require further attention from an engineer - please get back to me via PM and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alan_w 

It might be worth checking your V6's power-saving options - if you have Eco lower-power mode enabled, it does disable remote access.

Have you tried using another Ethernet cable to link your V6 to homehub, if this is being caused by a cable fault, that's an easy fix. And in the same vein, try a different Ethernet port on your router/hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That's a good shout, japitts.