Menu
HoundOfMeath
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Half my recordings have disappeared overnight

All my film and sport recordings from the past couple of months have disappeared overnight. Typically, all the kid's recordings are intact. Nothing but kids recordings in the recently deleted recordings. Box reports 139GB free space for SD recordings. Where have all my recordings gone!!??

0 Kudos
KeithLeonard
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Half my recordings have disappeared overnight

Have you tried rebooting your box as switching off and on at the mains could bring then back again?

Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Under My Shows, what does it say on the left hand side? Has it moved from 'all shows' to 'kids'?

HoundOfMeath
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First thing I tried was to reboot box (total power down).

Under My Shows, left hand side shows all the categories, All, TV & Radio, Movies, Sport, Kids, etc. Have checked them all to no avail.

Seems the shows that have been kept have one common denominator, they are all series linked.  Have now removed the links, some of which have 'ghosted in' i.e. have created themselves without our intervention. 

Guess I'm going to have to write off those missing recordings, can't say I'm best pleased about it.

Thanks for your replies nonetheless.

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's certainly odd. Have you checked the recently deleted folder?

0 Kudos
HoundOfMeath
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep, there was about 20 kids programmes!

0 Kudos
keithse
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@HoundOfMeath 

Well, if after deleting all those shows your box is showing as having only 139GB free out of the 1TB of space then that puts it at about 87% full now, so it must've been even fuller before the deletion.

The V6 (and older TiVo) will clear space to make room for upcoming shows so unless a show is set to "Keep Until I Delete" (KUID) then it is potentially going to be cleared to make space for new stuff.  The boxes can be a little 'aggressive' in doing this as they base it on what is planned to be recorded and assume the user will delete none of the soon-to-be-recorded shows.  An hourglass symbol will be shown next to recordings that are may be soon deleted to clear space.  None of those space-clearing deletions go in the Recently Deleted folder, as that's for user-deleted recordings only.

General advice is to not let the boxes get too full and adjust anything you really want to keep to be KUID - although noting that the boxes are designed for time-shifting recordings, not for long-term storage (for example if the box ever has a fault and is swapped-out then all recordings would be lost).

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Teebee
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My V6 filled up over xmas (I think about 96% is the threshold) and the auto clear kicked in but quite randomly. I have all of my recordings flagged for 'KUID' so it just picked some random batches to put the hourglass against.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your comments on here. The boxes are designed to delete programs not set to KUID, when the memory gets too close on the box.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
iben1905
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have had a similar problem where all my recorded movies disappeared overnight and are not in the recently deleted folder.

The only thing that hasn't disappeared are the recordings made on series links.

Before the deletion space was running at 25% usage.

After deletion space is now running at 6% usage.

Clearly it looks exactly like described in the first post, but why would the system auto delete as there was masses of storage still available?

0 Kudos