Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD channels broken up or missing

Hi - having to resort to this, sorry, because of so much frustration with failing to speak to someone on the phone or chat to someone online. Any help welcome. The HD channels on one of my V6 boxes are either broken up or blank. SD channels are fine. Our other box is fine on HD and SD. It's been a problem for a while now. Plenty of reboots, checked all the connections, run all the tests. Faulty box or faulty signal?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: HD channels broken up or missing

Faulty signal probs

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are there any particular HD channels affected?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A real mixture: about 75% of the Sky and BT Sport HD channels, for example, are broken up. ITV2, 3 and 4 HD are too. A couple of documentary channels are just a blank screen (sound is fine). But BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD have been fine. I could list them but can't see an obvious pattern (unless there's a technical link between them!).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TV channels are broadcast in "clusters" which is not necessarily (and often not) genre-based. So for example, a couple of sports channels will often share a broadcast frequency with, say, documentary or "general interest" ones.

You can often diagnose a signals issue by picking out channels that are on the same broadcast frequency. From a very quick check, Smithsonian channel shares with one of the BT Sport channels - is that one of the documentary ones you refer to?

By means of fixing your fault, picture breakup is nearly always either a signal issue of some kind - either the incoming signal being problematic, or a tuner issue within the box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all. It just occurred to me to do the obvious thing and swap boxes. It turns out to be the signal to one of the boxes, as the problem stayed on the same TV. I'll try swapping the cables too next, to see if they're the problem.

0 Kudos