Menu
ScottB89
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HD Channels distorted

For over 12 months I have been having issues with various HD channels being distorted and un- watchable. It’s not every HD channel. The main culprits I have noticed seem to be Channel 5 HD, BT Sport HD, Sky One HD to name just a few. 

Its extremely frustrating recording a show to then try and view it and it be so distorted you can’t watch it. 

I have reset several times and this has never fixed the issue. I have also tried going through customer support and had very little joy there also. 

Please could someone advise

Thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HD Channels distorted

If I'd had service problems like that for over a year, I'd have been chasing VM constantly until they mend the fault!! But still...

Pixellation is nearly always a signal fault, and so is either a faulty box or an issue with your cabling somewhere between you and the cabinet. Any further up the chain, and it affects more than one customer - so gets noticed.

By means of diagnosis, and depending what package you have, can you check some of the following channels..

Film-4-HD, Sky History 2 HD, Sky Sports Action HD, Sky Sports F1 HD, S4C-HD & Star Plus HD all share a broadcast frequency with Channel 5-HD.

BT Sport ESPN HD, Sky Disney HD, Sky Premier HD, Sky One HD, BT Sport 1 HD, NHK Japan HD & Liverpool FC TV, all share a broadcast frequency.

If it becomes apparent that all the channels on a particular frequency are affected, this would be strong evidence of a problem either with the cabling or possibly one of the box tuners.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ScottB89
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. You’re absolutely right! It’s all of the channels you have named. 

How do I go about sorting out the issue then? I take it I would need a visit from an engineer? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You call Virgin C/S and explain your fault symptoms to them. Sadly... and depending on the agent you speak to, you may need to be quite insistent that reboots have failed to resolve the problem and you have identified particular channels affected.

The agent may offer to reboot your box to "resolve" it, you may just need to go along with this, but perhaps use your instinct when they ask if the fault is resolved after the reboot 😉

I don't know whether the faults agents have access to the channel frequency list (I suspect not), but "pixellation not solved by box reboot" should trigger the appropriate response. It will either be a replacement box, or an engineer callout to check your cabling - this is for VM to decide based on their remote diagnostics.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks