Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HD CHANNELS WITH SD QUALITY

Hi 

Having recently moved over from sky tv; I have signed up to the premium virgin TV, broadband and telephone package. However the HD channels display a picture which is no where near to the quality of the sky HD counterparts. To be honest, the picture quality is comparable to that of SD channels; which is very disappointing. I have tried to contact virgin to resolve this, but am unable to get through to anyone. Instead I’ve been directed here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: HD CHANNELS WITH SD QUALITY

That is not normal, the HD channels in my experience are just as good as they are on Sky and noticeably better the SD channels.

Might be worth checking the video output setting to make sure it is set to output HD:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-sound-not-working

If it is not a setting issue then there may be an issue in your area which you can check here:

https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

Lastly there may be a fault with your box or your connection and VM may need to send out a technician.  If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It sounds as if you have either the tv or the V6 box setup incorrectly - or are looking at the wrong channels.

@Michaelibe wrote:

Hi 

Having recently moved over from sky tv; I have signed up to the premium virgin TV, broadband and telephone package. However the HD channels display a picture which is no where near to the quality of the sky HD counterparts. To be honest, the picture quality is comparable to that of SD channels; which is very disappointing. I have tried to contact virgin to resolve this, but am unable to get through to anyone. Instead I’ve been directed here

==================================
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Michaelibe wrote:

Hi 

I moved from Sky with a standard HD box about two years ago and HD quality is just as good on the V6. Sound quality is much better.

Unless you have a problem with the box it's most likely a setup issue as has been suggested. Go to Settings->Video Output->Video Output Format

If that shows it auto detected then select change to see what it detected.

I suggest 1080p + 1080 passthrough might be best depending on your tv capabilities.

The passthrough is great for Netflix where many movies are at 24fps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot Scott, I really appreciate your help with this.

I’ve checked the settings of my box and everything seems to be in order.

I will text the number you provided. Thanks once again 

Mike 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for your assistance with this. I checked everything you’ve mentioned and all is as it’s supposed to be. I will try to arrange for an engineer to come out.

Thanks once again for your help, very much appreciated 

Mike 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What settings do you have ticked in the 'Video Output' section on the V6 ?

==================================
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos