Menu
AxelF
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Green screen of death and incompetent staff

Our V6 TV box has developed the green screen of death 'The DVR has detected a serious issue and is now attempting to fix it' issue - happened on Monday night and we left it to resolve itself overnight. It didn't obviously, and I attempted to contact the fault phone number on Tuesday. After going through the ridiculous system that doesn't allow you to speak to anyone and auto disconnects you 4 or 5 times, I was eventually given the option to get on hold to speak to someone about 5 hours after first trying.

I then had the pleasure of an hour and 5 minutes on hold, listening to the same 4 songs on constant repeat. Finally someone answered the phone, but sadly it wa squickly apparent that she knew absolutely nothing about technical issues, or even this (very common according to a quick Google search) green screen of death issue. Asked 'is the picture wobbling or flickering?' 'No, as I said it's a green error screen, there is no picture' etc etc. Eventually she agreed that there was a problem with the box, and agreed to send a replacement.

This arrived today (actually not a bad turn around time); however, it's over twice the size of the box that we currently have - a massive Samsung branded thing rather than the small Arris box we currently have. A quick Google search reveals that this Samsung box is older, significantly slower, has half the capacity, doesn't do 4K and is basically nowhere as good as the one we currently have that is now broken.

So I then have the pleasure of trying to contact you again - 4 phone calls, all giving options that are not relevent, and finally ending with 'we've tested your line and there's no fault' and get disconnected. At the 5th attempt I've finally managed to get through to the same on hold music as on Tuesday, currently 47 mins on hold with obviously no sign of anyone answering. I just need the right box sent out to me, can that really be too much to ask? Or the ability to speak to a human? Can someone please help and get the right thing sent out before I really lose the will to go on?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green screen of death and incompetent staff

@AxelF wrote:

This arrived today (actually not a bad turn around time); however, it's over twice the size of the box that we currently have - a massive Samsung branded thing rather than the small Arris box we currently have. A quick Google search reveals that this Samsung box is older, significantly slower, has half the capacity, doesn't do 4K and is basically nowhere as good as the one we currently have that is now broken.

Can you take a look at this - have you been replaced with a TiVo?

There have been cases of faulty V6 being replaced with TiVo because of a shortage of V6 boxes... and a TiVo is better than nothing, in the short term.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos