cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Screen - Loss of service

jonpwatson5
Dialled in

As an IT engineer, it really frustrates me when I call technical support lines and they follow their scripts so blindly.

So many people on these lines have zero to limited experience of the products they are supporting. My parents Tivo V6 is currently green screened and not working. I went and had a look and told him the box needs to be replaced.

He called virgin and they started telling him they need to test the box, and telling him to do various things like unplugging it etc. 

I then went round again and rang them, and the engineer wanted to check the temperature of the hard drive - bit difficult when the box doesn't boot properly anymore. I KNOW the box needs to be replaced, it's even been admitted by staff on these forums that this error means the box needs to be replaced.

They've offered my dad an engineer in 2 days time - so in the meantime, they are happy for him to pay for a service he isn't getting - but the money isn't my point. They are currently without their TV service.

I asked for a box to be sent and I will install it myself using quick install - this was refused.

I asked if an engineer can just drop a box off and I can install it myself using quick install - this was refused.

I don't feel I'm being unreasonable. I know that Virgin have a unit on an industrial estate near me, I'm tempted to go knock on their door and ask for help as nobody on the customer service lines seem to understand why this is an issue.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not said, but I presume your parents have the green "DVR has detected an error" message which does indeed mean replacement time.

A green tint could just be an HDMI fault.

If you've been offered a tech visit in 2days time, keep an eye (using myVM online account) for any sooner cancellations.

In the meantime, does your parents TV have an inbuilt Freeview tuner? That might at least cover the FTA channels. Anything else can be viewed using the TV Go app on a PC or compatible mobile device.

I agree it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing for a couple of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It is indeed the serious error screen!

They are, how shall I put it - a bit tech simple 😛   They know how to use the virgin box (after many hours of me teaching them, although I still get asked questions occasionally lol).

Hi jonpwatson5

Thanks for posting - sorry to hear of the Green screen issue on the TV. From what you've advised we've done everything correctly, it would be a tech visit booked in for the first available slot. Was this booked in for you?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill