Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting a new V6 box for free ?

All I see are a handful of posts, which is a tiny fraction of the millions of people with V6 boxes. 

The problem that VM have acknowledged isn't just an issue for V6 boxes, it happens to BT boxes as well, and only effects certain sports replays I understand. So sounds more like an Amazon issue than a VM or BT issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

it looks like Virgin have not allocated enough capacity at CDN to handle the demand for Amazon video . ( and same issue at BT )

that will get worse as more folks try to stream amazon to their V6 boxes

typical cheapskate penny pinching from virgin

no sense debating stats as we cant see the whole picture.

there are a LOT of complaints here but arguably its only the complainers who bother to post

what would help with pinpointing the cause is if those who see a problem on V6 try to replicate it in PC browsers, or other android tv devices, linked to same Virgin broadband, and testing with same content

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I would suggest anyone having problems with Amazon is to get one of their Firesticks. Usually on special offer, far better quality sound/ vision

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

i second that but beware.,the new fire 4k stick is very fussy and must be connected directly to an HDMi port, the 3rd gen 4k square dongle ones will work via a HDMi extender, but not the new sticks. Took me over an hour to diagnose why my new stick would not work when swapped into the same set up as the previous gen one. and amazon were clueless - I got to realize it was a problem with the extender via stubborn trial and error.. yet another lets fight piracy by making life hell for honest paying customers stupidity HDCP issue

also because the latest fire TV are wifi only you need good wifi for 4k streaming

one advantage of the v6, once they get the bugs fixed, is that you can have it wired to your hub and use as much of the full wired package speed as you need

Nvidia Shield TV is a great, but expensive alternative,  supports 4k netflix, prime....  and it has ethernet and dual band wifi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Amazon works perfectly on my V6.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

ps but I would expect the sound and picture quality from a fire stick to be identical to that from a V6, once both are working, its the same digital stream 

the only place I would expect to see differences between 4k clients going into the same 4k TV and sound system is in how slick the menus and device navigation is

surely virgin get a pristine feed from amazon / netflix etc to sell on ?

even the Tivo, if you have the patience to let it slowly and laboriously connect to netflix - looks fine when it finally gets there ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

have you tested on the problematic live sports rewinds that others say is broken ?.

and for the missing 8 out of 16 episodes of something called  " the manifest"? which seems to be the other ongoing complaint

0 Kudos