Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Getting a new V6 box for free ?

Hi Guys. I've been with Virgin media for about 15 years now and for the past 7-8 years (or more) have been running their original TIVO box (the low profile one with the sloping front end and a row of lights on the right). 

It's really painfully slow in getting up anything on screen or searching for anything in the guide etc, with many seconds delay in between pages. I thought this might be the case for all Virgin boxes, however my brother has recently defected from Sky and bought the basic Virgin TV and broadband package and he got the new V6 box. I couldn't believe how much quicker it was than mine and everything was much more instant and has 4k ability which mine doesn't.

Is there anyway of getting virgin to "upgraded" me to a V6 box for free ? I'm OK at accepting a nominal fee but when I called their customer services recently they were anything but customer services and told me if i wanted a V6 box I'd have to pay for it @ £150.00 plus nearly £50 installation (so the best part of £200 !!!)

I pay virgin nearly £100 pm (and have been for a lot of years), whereas my brother pays less than half that and yet got the latest box ?. Has anyone managed to persuade them to do this for gratis as a loyal customer of many years (or does that actually count for nothing these days) ?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting a new V6 box for free ?

Hi if you have been a customer that long were you not aware that a few years ago virgin offered a V6 free to all existing customers, I'm afraid that offer is long gone, it is a well known fact that new customers are always offered deals, all companies do it, so as it stands if you want a better box you have to pay for it.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Sootchucker wrote:

Hi Guys. I've been with Virgin media for about 15 years now and for the past 7-8 years (or more) have been running their original TIVO box (the low profile one with the sloping front end and a row of lights on the right). 

It's really painfully slow in getting up anything on screen or searching for anything in the guide etc, with many seconds delay in between pages. I thought this might be the case for all Virgin boxes, however my brother has recently defected from Sky and bought the basic Virgin TV and broadband package and he got the new V6 box. I couldn't believe how much quicker it was than mine and everything was much more instant and has 4k ability which mine doesn't.

Is there anyway of getting virgin to "upgraded" me to a V6 box for free ? I'm OK at accepting a nominal fee but when I called their customer services recently they were anything but customer services and told me if i wanted a V6 box I'd have to pay for it @ £150.00 plus nearly £50 installation (so the best part of £200 !!!)

I pay virgin nearly £100 pm (and have been for a lot of years), whereas my brother pays less than half that and yet got the latest box ?. Has anyone managed to persuade them to do this for gratis as a loyal customer of many years (or does that actually count for nothing these days) ?

Many thanks.

If you're paying nearly £100 per month, you could upgrade to the Ultimate Oomph bundle, that's £99 per month and includes 2 V6 boxes, plus sports, movies and a mobile phone sim and is available to existing customers (I recently upgraded, though there was a one off £35 charge). The price jumps to £139 after a year, but it's only a 1 year contract, so at that point you can change package or haggle (and should be able to hang on to the V6)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No, I never received the emails, as they had the wrong email on the their system (even though they were sending me bills to the correct email address) ?

They admitted it was a **bleep** up at their end but said there's nothing they could do as the offer had long since past.

@LittleMick73 wrote:
Hi if you have been a customer that long were you not aware that a few years ago virgin offered a V6 free to all existing customers, I'm afraid that offer is long gone, it is a well known fact that new customers are always offered deals, all companies do it, so as it stands if you want a better box you have to pay for it.Regards Micky

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

If you're paying nearly £100 per month, you could upgrade to the Ultimate Oomph bundle, that's £99 per month and includes 2 V6 boxes, plus sports, movies and a mobile phone sim and is available to existing customers (I recently upgraded, though there was a one off £35 charge). The price jumps to £139 after a year, but it's only a 1 year contract, so at that point you can change package or haggle (and should be able to hang on to the V6)

Hmm...just been onto VirginMedia's page re the "Ultimate Oomph Bundle" for £99 (this page - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/ultimate-oomph-bundle?buspart=uk_ps_acq_cable_GOOGLE_Brand_...) and at the bottom it says:

"FOR NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY" Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well success. I called customer services yesterday and they must have been in a better mood, because they decided to send me not only a new V6 box but also a new super hub 3.0 to replace my older unit for just a £35 one off connection fee.

Should arrive in a few days. Happy days (hopefully).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI Sootchucker, 

Thanks for your post. 

I'm sorry that it has taken some time to upgrade your equipment and it's good to know we've now been able to send you a new V6 box and Hub 3.0. 

Please give us a shout if you need any assistance activating your new equipment? 

Take care 🙂 

Dean C

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I was going to hustle for a deal, but after reading how broken it is for Amazon video I shall not bother.

Why pay for a broken experience. I have zero issues with Amazon video on my other devices so I shall stick with those until the complaints on here get sorted

Perhaps one day VM will launch a new service that a fully works?

But well done on getting the new, broken v6 so cheap. I have also been a customer for way too many years yet retentions quoted over 100 one off cost for just the v6 upgrade for tivo. I already have hub3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime on the V6 works perfectly for me. Nothing broken about it or either of the V6 boxes I have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I go on what I see here in the sub forum. Thread after thread of problems.... And nearly all say Amazon works on all my other devices, just v6 is broken.

VM even admit to one issue and say it has been escalated. VM admitting to faults is rare as rocking horse **bleep**, so that must be a bad one.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos