Menu
agmcb1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

GOLD HD

Hi, My HD channels in catch-up are not shown.

I click on a catch-up programme it takes me to catch-up but only SD channels to choose from.
I phoned and told I had to wait a few days; some issue between Virgin and channel owners.
Surely a notice, e-mail or something would be good customer relations if this actually is the case.

Alan

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: GOLD HD

@agmcb1 wrote:

Hi, My HD channels in catch-up are not shown.

I click on a catch-up programme it takes me to catch-up but only SD channels to choose from.
I phoned and told I had to wait a few days; some issue between Virgin and channel owners.
Surely a notice, e-mail or something would be good customer relations if this actually is the case.

Alan

Most of the catch up services use Virgins ageing CATV broadcast playout system. This creates a separate broadcast stream every time a programme is selected in the customers section of cable. HD content distributed this way takes a large amount of TV bandwidth & there have been issues with capacity problems at peak times, so most HD content has been removed.

If more broadcasters developed apps for the TiVO/V6 platform (like BBC iPlayer) to access their own servers then perhaps the amount of HD content could increase.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't have a problem with VM making better use of its DVB-C spectrum and perhaps going towards unicast over DOCSIS, but the OP has a point that subscribers should be told about a removal of a service.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I don't have a problem with VM making better use of its DVB-C spectrum and perhaps going towards unicast over DOCSIS, but the OP has a point that subscribers should be told about a removal of a service.

Er. But the service on this channel has never been there to be removed. UKTV catch up has never been in HD & Virgin have never stated it is. Gold only went HD broadcast wise a few months ago. HD was removed from the playout system several years ago.

I think this is yet another case of offshore not knowing enough about Virgins systems.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Er. But the service on this channel has never been there to be removed. UKTV catch up has never been in HD & Virgin have never stated it is. Gold only went HD broadcast wise a few months ago. HD was removed from the playout system several years ago.

I think this is yet another case of offshore not knowing enough about Virgins systems.

To be fair, the playour system (assuming you're referring to what I'd call legacy VOD) still carries HD-VOD for Channel 5 CatchUp, and often some Sky series too.

As for offshore knowing VM's systems, that's the big downside of offshore CS where technical support is concerned of course. Scripted stuff can be done "anywhere" within reason. Unscripted stuff needs the agents to actually use the service they're supporting... (Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the largely converted here)

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its a contractual thing between Virgin and UKTV.

Depending on your TV package you may be able to see and record UKTV HD channels, but only SD is available for UKTV on demand content via Virgin TV packages.

To see HD content for UKTV you need to use UKTV player via the internet.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos