Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Flickering - Black screen V6

I’m now having this problem with my V6 box which is connected to my Sony TV through a Denon Cinema Amplifier.

The flickering only occurs when the V6 box is powered on after being on standby overnight. A reboot of the V6 box cures the problem for the rest of the day but next day same problem again.  I have other video/audio sources connected to the TV via the Cinema amp which work perfect so it’s unlikely to be the Cinema Amp,  HDMI Cable to the TV, or the HDMI input on the TV which is pretty new. I have tried re-running the video output test on the V6 box to make sure the settings are right.

Continually rebooting the box is a nuisance so if there’s a fix I’d be grateful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi MarvinAndroid,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this. 

Can I confirm does this affect multiple channels? When the Flickering starts is it at the same time each night?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 36
Flag for a moderator

As I explained in my original message the flickering returns when the box has been left idle in standby overnight.  Regardless of whether it is switched on in the morning or later in the day the flickering occurs cutting the video signal to the TV so that it displays its input banner every few seconds.  To clear the fault it is necessary to switch off the the V6 box.  After the V6 has restarted the problem is no longer evident for the rest of the day regardless of how many times it is placed in standby between viewing periods. It continues to work ok until left in standby overnight until the next day.  The fault occurs regardless of which channel the box is on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 36
Flag for a moderator

hi MarvinAndroid,

Thank you for coming back to us via our community, I am sorry you are still having the issue with a flickering screen.

You advised you have the box going through a Denon amplifier, can you try it without the amplifier in the mix and see if you still have the same issue?

Are you also able to try a different HD cable and a different port on the TV if available?

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I’ll have to try that tomorrow now as I’ve already restarted the V6 box so it won’t flicker for the rest of the day.  But I can’t see it making any difference as the flickering only occurs when the box has been on standby for a long period ie overnight.  I have a freesat receiver connected to the Denon Cinema Amp that works perfectly all of the time and a Blueray Player.  If it’s the HDMI port or cable why does it work perfectly when rebooted?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

We're just trying to rule out all possible caused of the fault.

Keep us updated.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I’ve tried wiring the V6 box direct to the TV and it makes no difference.  I’ve have found a solution to the problem but it’s not one I’m satisfied with really.  I have changed the the display settings in the V6 box; switched off 4K output and restricted it to 1080p resolution.  That does away with the flickering without rebooting the v6 box.

This means that I can’t enjoy any 4K content that Im paying for.  I notice that another customer has had the same problem with his brand new Samsung TV.  I have not mentioned this before but I had to swap my TV because the previous TV developed a major fault (wouldn’t switch on) so replaced it with the Sony OLED which is current spec.

Its poor that the Virgin box which I paid to upgrade to get 4K is not capable of outputting a 4K picture to up to date TV’s from major TV manufacturers.  When is Virgin going to correct this fault on the V6 hardware so that it is capable of proper 4K picture resolution without constant signal dropout?

this is the second issue I have experienced in a matter of months where Virgin Media just doesn’t rectify problems.  As a long term customer I am sad to say that I may have to look elsewhere for my media services when my contract expires in July unless Virgin Media starts to pull up its socks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I've had a look at the backend of your services and I can see there is an SNR fault in your area affecting broadband and TV services.

The reference number is F007598560 and the current estimated fix time is 2nd December 09:30 Although you can't get updates yourself, if you do speak to any member of our team they will be able to give you any updates you need.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I’m just wondering if the SNR fault in my area has now been fixed as per the scheduled date for a fix.  Is this fix going to mean that I can receive a flicker free picture when V6 box is set to output UHD Video or do I need to be getting an engineer to look at the V6 box.  I’m currently getting a flicker free picture by setting the video on my V6 box to output 1080p only?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi MarvinAndroid, 

It looks like the ticket has been closed. 

Have you checked the services over the past few days, have things improved at all? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos