Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Flickering - Black screen V6

I’ve noticed a large amount of flickering posts and I am suffering from this also. 

Ive had an engineer out to check my kit over who replaced my V6 box and hdmi cable and was told that perhaps my HDMI port on my Tv was at fault. My tv is brand new out the box series 6 samsung, so no cheap tv here. I ran a test as literally 5 mins after he left I swapped hdmi ports and it all started all over again. I’ve seen reports of HD only flickering but mine is on everuthing the box offers. There is no escape from it. 

The test: current set up

hdmi 1 Virgin V6 (possible problem port)

hdmi 2 PS4 no issues

hdmi 3 Arc Amp

i swapped virgin to hdmi 2 and PS4 to hdmi 1, I have no issues on PS4 and still have problems with virgin in new port. I swapped back and the problem was the same as original set up. It has to be the V6 box but what I don’t get is I have a new V6 box. 

The engineer as helpful as he was did not have a clue how to diagnose this problem or rectify it. 

Can anyone help as this is driving me up the wall and I’ve ran out of tests to carry out. 

Cheers in advance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Flickering - Black screen V6

Black flicker, loss of picture and sound for a moment then returns. The time the flicker lasts for is getting longer the more it does it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I suspect that the V6 box is the culprit - you mention having the box replaced? was it a brand new box or one that someone else had complained about and sent back to VM? I think there must be a significant number of boxes that are returned as 'faulty' which VM simply rebox and send out with engineers to replace other faulty boxes. 

Having had the pleasure of many 'engineers' out to inspect faults, I've yet to meet one that actually knows much about the products that VM sell. 

I think you've already diagnosed the faulty equipment by changing over HDMI inputs which already work faultlessly with other electronics - keep on at VM as we all pay them a premium every month for crap hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have a Samsung UE49-MU7000 4K UHD TV, I'ts 10 months old, the V6 box seems to dislike Samsung tv's, i had the exact same problem which went on for a few months at the start of this year, then there was a update of the V6 box and my tv stopped flickering, but there is a price to pay, I've got my V6 box set to 1080p if i set it to 2160p the flickering returns, the 1080p setting isn't such a big issue because the tv upscales the picture to 2160p, try resetting your V6 box to 1080p then see how you get on, honestly if it works the difference in the picture between the 1080p and 2160p settings is minor and I've been living with it for the last 6 months and feel no need to change it even if it worked, good luck.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Yep it was a brand new one. Straight from the box. Turns out V6 box does not like 2160p married with Samsung TVs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Fixed! Albeit no UHD from V6 but thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi NTR

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service recently. 

I'm glad to hear that the issues has been fixed, we'll be here should you need any assistance or support with your service moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig. 

Hopefully there will be an answer to why this issue affects Samsung’s and if there could be a fix in the future, I’d love to be able to watch UHD again, considering that was why I bought the TV. BT sports will never be the same. 🥺

I’ve been using the built in apps on my tv for my UHD fix but that’s not the point. 

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

i have the 55 mu7000 about same age as yours set to 2160p and 2160p passthrough no flickering on my set up
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Count yourself lucky bud. It’s been a head scratcher 

0 Kudos