Menu
pdfbt40
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Favourite Channels List Saving

My V6 Box seems to have developed an ability to change the Favourite 'Flag' at random on my EPG.

Is there a way to save my current list as backup directly or via website or phone app?  Or is it just having to maintain a 'manual' list or spreadsheet of channels to help check and restore?

pdfbt40
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Favourite Channels List Saving

What do you mean by the "favourite flag"?

There isn't a way of saving your favourite channels apart from via the V6 menus directly, although I've a suspicion what you're asking about and the underlying cause. Do you mean that channels you save as favourites "randomly" drop off your favourites list, and need to be re-added manually?

There is a reason for that (and there's nothing you can do about it), if that's what you're asking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pdfbt40
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure why you find the semantics an issue or that you can't even get the quote correct.

Call me old fashioned but a tick next an entry has been a 'flag' in my terms for a long, long time.

There are several ways to modify the favourite designation, so I guess your trying to confirm that I cannot download the table/status in any way from the V6.

Like all TiVo functions changing favourites from the EPG is clunky, though you can retain PiP.
Editing the table under Settings is easier to see current status, but looses PiP.
My preferred method is Virgin TV Control App on my phone while still watching TV.

Now come on. The random change of channel favourite 'flag' is a problem you know of, but refuse to give information on as I (and VM) can't do anything about it. Not the sort of lack of 'help' I expect from a VIP.
pdfbt40
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM place channels together in groups (like the muxes on Freeview, or transponders on Sky)

As far as I can work out, when VM move the channels to another group then the channels lose the favourites tag as the tags are still pointing to the old location. This is why people have to keep resetting their favourites.

If you look at the digitalbitrate.com/  website you can see where new channels have been added or current channels moved as they are marked with a yellow New tag.

However it is more complicated than that as the information there is taken from different headends and so may not apply to all regions.

It seems that VM  are tidying up the distribution of the channels, placing more onto less muxes. This housekeeping may be due to them trying to align all the regions together, or possibly freeing up more space for broadband.

To  further complicate matters on the mux C076 (Wolverhampton TRIALS) TuneAway (HD) Hidden is marked in red, but if you click on it, a new screen opens that  shows, "This channel is coming soon"  - so this may be a new channel VM are testing, or even a new app.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@pdfbt40 wrote:
There are several ways to modify the favourite designation, so I guess your trying to confirm that I cannot download the table/status in any way from the V6.

I was trying to confirm the nature of your issue - I took one of two possible issues from your post, and it's often better to confirm than merely assume. I'm also unsure what you mean by "The random change of channel favourite 'flag' is a problem you know of, but refuse to give information on". Neither matters in the overall scheme.

It's entirely true to say that when VM move channels between or around muxes, then the channel identifier often changes. If that channel is in your favourites list, it will often drop off. I don't know of any occasion when Virgin have refused to give information on it.

In terms of whether you can create a backup of your favourites list, no that's not possible.

(Edited to rephrase some points)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pdfbt40
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Hero

A useful and complete answer for one of the issues.

Unlike the VIPs who as usual wanted to demonstrate his partial knowledge in ways to interpret information he clearly understood and lack then a lack of ability to communicate possible solutions.

Why say there is a known issue but not explain it??

Why did  VM remove the browser and/or PC version of TV Control.  At least there might have been a chance to cut and paste a favourite channel list.
Why do we have to rely on third party sites for real channel news & lists.  The VM web page hasn't changed its contents since Jan changes (still there) and page date.  The PDF download always has minor comments and too much effort required to parse it into a spreadsheet for personal management.

pdfbt40
0 Kudos