Menu
tekkydave
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Faulty V6 box coax cable

Hi, the coax cable from the wall box to the V6 box seems to be faulty. When moved or even just lightly touched the tv screen blanks or pixellates. It could also be the coax adapter at V6 end also but unable to tell. This is happening constantly during the day even when not touching the cable and making the service unusable. Can I have a replacement cable (3m) and adapter please.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty V6 box coax cable

Hi normally virgin don't supply cables they have to be fitted by an engineer because signal levels can be altered if different lengths are inserted into the system.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tekkydave 

littlemick is correct.. I would suggest in your instance that you call C/S on 150 and follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service and your symptoms are picture breakup & pixellation... which they are!

Whatever remote fix the agent tries (reboots might feature), clearly will be ineffective in this instance, but it could well be necessary in order to then book the necessary. I would imagine that a box-swap will only replace the equipment as far as the coax adapter, your case may need an engineer visit but I'm not 100% on C/S process with this sort of issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tekkydave
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I'm logging this for my mum who is the virgin customer. She's tried 150 but can't get through to a real person. I have ordered a replacement cable via Amazon as the easiest option. I'm with Sky and I thought their support line was bad but virgin is atrocious. Thanks for the advice anyway. 

PS I am ex BBC engineer so I know a faulty cable when I see it.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've had this twice and both times it was the short white co-ax adaptor which had damaged rather than the whole cable.

@tekkydave wrote:

Hi, the coax cable from the wall box to the V6 box seems to be faulty. When moved or even just lightly touched the tv screen blanks or pixellates. It could also be the coax adapter at V6 end also but unable to tell. This is happening constantly during the day even when not touching the cable and making the service unusable. Can I have a replacement cable (3m) and adapter please.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hey tekkydave,

Have you got in touch with the team to get this looked into further? 

If not, I can look into this for you but would you to be able to pass account security on your mother's behalf?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
tekkydave
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have tried but the 0345 number cut me off after waiting 20 minutes in queue. Can you get someone to phone my mum and book an engineer visit? That's what she needs as an elderly non-technical person. The phone menus are too confusing for her and she doesn't own a computer. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I cannot arrange a call back from here but I can look into this myself and get an engineer appointment raised.

I will drop you over a private message, so that we can confirm her details and get the appointment booked in.

Regards

Steven_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@tekkydave wrote:

I'm logging this for my mum who is the virgin customer. She's tried 150 but can't get through to a real person. I have ordered a replacement cable via Amazon as the easiest option. I'm with Sky and I thought their support line was bad but virgin is atrocious. Thanks for the advice anyway. 

PS I am ex BBC engineer so I know a faulty cable when I see it.

If you know about faulty cables, you will relate to my anecdote ----  use the information in it as you see fit.

____

A year or two ago, my neighbour was having "noise" problems on their connection and the investigating VM tech team just happened to knock on my door and ask to see our connections. Long story short... the noise problem was caused by MY daughter (unbeknown to me) moving her V6 box by a couple of meters and using some cheap tat co-ax cable and connectors she got from Amazon! - they changed the cable and connectors in her room and hey presto, the neighbour was sorted.  They didn't charge me anything for messing up the neighbourhood - I think they were just relieved to have solved a "noise" issue so quickly - mind you tea and biscuits may have helped in that regard - lesson learned !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
tekkydave
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

A cautionary tale indeed. Hopefully the one I have ordered is ok but it's not the most expensive either.

0 Kudos