Menu
ajf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fast forward not previewing

Has there been an update recently on the V6?

watching a recording from Paramount and when I try and fast forward or rewind, it does not play the video as it goes.
All I get is the time moving along the bottom and a large >>> in red on the screen. There is no way of seeing where I have wound to!

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fast forward not previewing

HI ajf,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

Would you be able to reboot the box and check again?

Is this affecting On Demand content? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You’re not watching a recording.

If you have this from a series link, it has streaming set and you’re watching it from On Demand.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Belinda4
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi I’m experiencing the same issue. Can someone advise if Virgin Media have made a change or if it’s a fault.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On Demand which uses the internet can’t be previewed during fast forward.

On Demand using the old VOD, down the cable connection, can be previewed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Greenback66
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How long as the option of fast forwarding not previewing been going on?.I use to be able to do it using the internet,seems a shame as it

was handy to have,wish they would bring it back.Why can you preview On Demand using the old VOD down the cable connection and you can

not using the internet?. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All of VOD (Video On Demand) was swung over to the newer IP-VOD platform sometime around May-June IIRC.

The lack of preview is just down to how the newer technology works, but it has many benefits over the legacy system - much improved HD availability for one.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Greenback66 wrote:

How long as the option of fast forwarding not previewing been going on?.I use to be able to do it using the internet,seems a shame as it

was handy to have,wish they would bring it back.Why can you preview On Demand using the old VOD down the cable connection and you can

not using the internet?. 

The legacy VOD system, which was one of the first in existence (from the days of dial-up modems) used spare broadcast streams that could be targeted at specific groups of cabinets within a network that only the box ordering the stream could tune too. Speeding up the playback was like fast forwarding a video. No compression changes or encoding involved. As VOD became more popular these streams got maxed out leading to customers getting stream not available messages when requesting content during peak hours. There is also the issue that more broadcast capacity is required to accommodate some new UHD channels that people keep asking about (two words beginning with S. One with three letters, one with six. Nudge nudge, wink wink). So the replacement is IP based VOD, the same as other providers now use.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It may be useful to know that skip forward takes you forward by 30 seconds.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection