cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension cable for TV not received

Slaterio
Joining in

Hi
I endured a painful telephone call but ordered an 10m extension cable two weeks ago. It has still not arrived although told it would be 3-5 days? How do I get this sorted as my TV is the other side of the room!

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

12 REPLIES 12

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m surprised, for a number of reasons, that you were offered a 10m extension cable.

The correct response for the relocation of a co-ax outlet should have been to arrange an engineer call at a cost of £25. If you are a brand new customer, this charge may be waived.

If you wait here, perhaps a few days, Virgin Media will be able to arrange such a visit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

For a similar amount of money you can buy a 15m High Speed HDMI cable instead.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it was an offshore call response this does not surprise me in the least.

The maximum cable length that VM supply pre-made is 3 metres. This is because anything longer than this will have an effect on the signal levels at your property. So for anything other than this a tech visit has to be booked. The visiting technician will make up & fit the cables, then open the street cabinet & adjust the levels to compensate for the increased length.

If you are within a few weeks of your install the callout should be free. Otherwise you will be charged £25.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Slaterio, thanks for your post here in the Community, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here.

We do offer an alternative to the longer cable, which is a relocation but as mentioned here this is usually chargeable at £25.

I can see however, you've spoken to us recently on this matter and got this on the way to being sorted. 

If you do need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom

Yes I have spoken to Virgin and they said that it would be expedited and would arrive Thursday or Friday at the latest. Unfortunately this has, as yet, not arrived. It is most disappointing that although I requested this well over two weeks ago, my TV still needs to be relocated as it should be the other side of the living room. I understand from my initial attempt that this was at no cost. 

Sadly I remain slightly disappointed with Virgin. I am a new customer and it is now another day that  the extension cable has not arrived.Given that my service started on 1st October I do not think this is good service?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As mentioned above VM do not send out cables longer than 3 metres. Anything else requires a technician visit. Looks like you have been fobbed off by CS staff yet again.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Slaterio, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I am very sorry if you have been advised that a longer cable would be provided, I am afraid this is not the case.

As nodrogd has advised, we do not supply a cable longer than 3 meters as a replacement. 

With this being the case, we would be happy to get you an appointment to arrange for the relocation of your equipment in your living room. 

I will pop you over a private message and if you wish to proceed, please respond with the requested details. This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

As you will be aware, calls are recorded and if I need to make a request under the Data Protection Act so be it. I have twice spoken to customer services who have advised that as a new customer there would be no charge for an extension cable and this would be sent out. 
Paul Slater [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]